none
IM Option Greyed Out and Presence Not Updating RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have Lync 2010 Installed with 2 clients.  Both the clients are not able to IM each other or seeing updated presence of other Users.

When Client 1/User 1, clicks on User 2 name, he sess IM option as Greyed Out.  The same is true when Client2/User2 Clicks on Client1/User1 name, the IM option is greyed out.  Both the client are in the same Domain as Lync Server.

I enabled Client Logging and in the log can see SIP subscribe message going to server and getting 200 OK.  The same I see from the "SIPStack" analyze traces from OCSLogger.

I have build Lync 2010 before in the lab and IM/Presence were never an issue, it was voice that took a lot of troubleshooting; however, this one Email/Voice works just fine.

TIA for any pointers.

Monday, August 6, 2012 7:28 PM

All replies

• If User 1 types user2@sipdomain.com (or whatever user 2 has for a SIP address) in the Lync client search bar does the behavior change?
    Monday, August 6, 2012 7:44 PM
  • Alanmad - Nope, the behavior doesn't not change.  I can search by just putting in "user2" or "user2@sipdomain.com" and add to contact or just hit enter from search bar, it opens outlook email window.
    Monday, August 6, 2012 7:58 PM
  • What happens when you run Test-csIM using the same two user credentials?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg425802.aspx

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 1:40 AM
  • Hi,

Are the two clients in the same subnet?

Please close the firewall in the Lync FE server and the client PC, then check the issue again. Otherwise, please make sure the Lync FE server has enough hardware resource (CUP and Memory) to process the lync request.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 2:43 AM
  • Hi,

Sean_Xiao - The 2 clients were in the same subnet and domain as the FE.  The FE had enough CPU and memory as well.

Alanmad - Thanks for the suggestion, will keep that handy in future.

The solution turn out to do the following steps.

1. Remove Users from Lync

2.  Delete Exchange mailboxes for those Users

3.  Recreate the mailboxes, Reimport/Recreate the users in Lync

I then added the Users again to each client and IM and Presence started working.  I have no idea/clue as to why I had to remove and re-add those users, but doing those steps did resolve the issue.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 4:35 PM