none
Lync 2013 Desktop Client on Windows 8 sizing and start location issues RRS feed

• Question

• This is regarding the Lync 2013 desktop client that is installed with Office 2013 on Windows 8. There is no Lync 2010 client installed.

When you open a conversation window it is always small so I re-size it to a better size and then when you close the window it never returns to the same size. Also while it does seem to remember its location within the main monitor, it does not for other monitors. When you close the window on another monitor and then open a new conversation window it reappears on the main monitor.

I do not remember Lync 2010 Client having this issues as it would have driven me nuts like it is now for 2013.

Friday, January 18, 2013 10:02 PM

All replies

• Its not an official Known Issue. I checked that link for Lync 2013 known issues and its not their. I did check that known issue list prior to posting along with a through Google search and a search of this forum.

The other link is a another forum post stating the issue that did not come up in any of my Google search due to the word choices the individual used or in my search of this forum because that one is in the preview forum. Even though the preview was long over when it was posted.

This does not to be an officially "Known Issue" and I would like someone from Micrsoft responsible for the Lync 2013 client to respond stating they are aware of it either before or now and that they will or will not address it.  None of this has happened yet.

Friday, January 18, 2013 11:47 PM
  • Hi,

Lync 2013 remembers the location but doesn’t remember window size.

Lync 2010 remembers the location and the size.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:35 AM
  • Thanks for summarizing what I stated in my message, however you are not solving the issue by restating my statements.

And as I stated also it only remembers location in 2013 on the main monitor not on additional monitors so that is a bug.

Then this is also a lost feature from the previous version which could arguably be considered a bug as well. However there is no Connect product for Office 2013 or Lync 2013 where we can report bugs or request features. All we have is this forum to post them.

So I am looking for a Microsoft Product Manager type who is responsible for Lync 2013 to respond to this as there is no fix until the release an update to address the issue. I want to know from Microsoft if they plan to bring back the features that where in 2010.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:30 AM
  • Sorry for the sign that make you uncomfortable. I didn’t mean that. It is for the reason to be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

And I want to confirm the expected behavior difference between Lync 2010 and Lync 2013. But I didn’t express in proper way.

You suggestion is very good. I will deliver this to the related person.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 4:04 AM
  • It is NOT EXPECTED behavior. No use expects to lose functionality when a new version of a product is released. 

Also your statement is only true in a single monitor situation, if you have multiple monitors it doesn't do that. That is my point I tried to make.

This is a BUG from user perspective and there is no way to inform Microsoft Office/Lync product managers about this. Without them knowing about it, it can never get fixed. 

Thursday, February 7, 2013 12:11 AM
  • The expected behaviour is that the chat-/IM-window remember it's position and size of both the window and of the input text field.

As stated, Lync 2010 did this but 2013 does not. I believe this has to do with the new "tabbed conversations", although it doesn't matter if you turn it on or off.

Isn't great when we get new features, that we didn't ask for, that break existing behaviour..? How the heck did this bug pass QA-control? It's SO annoying having to resize the chat-window every time someone chats with you!

Friday, March 15, 2013 9:16 AM
  • >>It's SO annoying having to resize the chat-window every time someone chats with you

Ditto!

Monday, May 13, 2013 6:24 PM
  • Let me second that !

I just installed Lync 2013 today and came across this ANNOYING FEATURE of having to resize the window every time. This is a work tool and therefore it has to work as expected and should serve the users needs !

Please get that fixed before we roll it out to all of our end users.

Thanks

Monday, July 15, 2013 6:05 AM
  • 6 months later & this is still an issue with Lync 2013.  Anyone ever find out how to "officially" report this stuff to Microsoft... as if they don't already know?  I mean all their own employees use this tool, right?  How do things as simple (and annoying) as not remembering a window size get overlooked, then not fixed so many months later?
    Thursday, January 2, 2014 4:33 PM
  • This is much more of a "workaround" than a solution, but I have found a "fix."

1. Open several conversations with the tabbed conversation setting turned on.
    2. Move that window to the place you want it to be.
    3. Close the window.
    4. Subsequent windows will open in that position.

I don't understand why it works this way, but after dealing with this for a year, I'm so happy to have a "fix."

Daryl Sensenig Tents For Rent

• Proposed as answer by Daryl Sensenig Thursday, January 9, 2014 12:49 PM
    Thursday, January 9, 2014 12:49 PM
  • Thanks Daryl for your workaround.

It does not seem to work for me . I opened several tabs, moved them to my second screen and closed the window. The new one still opened in the default position in my first screen.

Am I missing something here?!

Friday, January 10, 2014 4:41 AM
  • I haven't tried this with two screens yet. I'll give that a try and let you know.

Also, I've only tested it on Windows 8.1 Lync client version 15.0.4551.1007 .

Daryl Sensenig Tents For Rent

Friday, January 10, 2014 2:00 PM
  • I just tested the workaround on two screens, and it works as I described.

Are you opening several chats with tabbed setting turned on?

Saturday, January 11, 2014 3:52 PM
  • I am having the same issue - just wanted to add another "annoyed user" to the pot. Love everything else about 2013 except that it keeps resizing my conversation windows and it does not remember the size / position I set them to like Lync 2010 did.
    Friday, February 7, 2014 2:44 PM
  • This works for the position, but NOT for the window size.  Someone from Microsoft please respond with a fix or workaround!

Software Engineer

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 3:28 AM
  • Stil unsolved; workaround is not working on Win 8.1 Update 1

Every Lync window opens again and again in a small window; meaning after I closed the window (and or including conversation tabs) the new window I open is not in the same size or position. 

Installed Lync through portal.microsoftonline.com >> software (as part of Office 365)

Thursday, May 1, 2014 10:07 AM
  • Adding myself to the conversation as another end-user annoyed with this change in behavior. This needs to be added to the known issues list for Lync 2013 client.
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 4:05 AM
  • So there really is no fix for this yet? We just upgraded to Lync 2013 and man is this annoying. Using the tabbed windows, as long as I leave one older tab there the window stays the same size, so that's my workaround.
    Thursday, May 29, 2014 7:50 PM
  • This thread started in January 2013, and soon will be two years old, but still there is no solution. Very cool.
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:32 PM
  • I brought this up way back in beta for Lync 2013 and it was never addressed.  These little quirks are realistically buried below other more critical functionality fixes on any order of importance, so it's just the nature of X amount engineering resources vs. Y amount of issues.

Maybe the next version of Lync will address this but I do not expect to see it change in the Lync 2013 client lifetime.

Also understand that these are community forums and you will not find anyone from the actual product groups responding directly, only the external contractors and other MVP moderators like myself.

I'll bug the PG again for this but I do not expect a response to trivial UI issues when they are all heads-down focusing on the next release.

Jeff Schertz | Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | Lync MVP

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:19 PM