none
OneNote 2013: howto set reminders? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm looking for a way to set reminder within OneNote 2013. The reminders should popup on the mobile phones we use in our familiy: Android and Iphone or be sent by mail when due.

Please advise.
    J.

Jan Hoedt

Saturday, February 28, 2015 7:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Jan,

Closest thing you can use here are the tasks which you can set to Outlook. From the Home tab in OneNote type the action that needs to be taken and make a task out of it by choosing Outlook task. From the menu you can set a timespan. Downside is that you do need Outlook to set it to be reminded. So the challenge is to set Outlook as the client on the Android and Apple devices. There is no other way to set reminders from OneNote.

Maurice

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. Thank You

• Marked as answer by janhoedt Tuesday, March 3, 2015 2:22 PM
    Saturday, February 28, 2015 9:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Jan,

Closest thing you can use here are the tasks which you can set to Outlook. From the Home tab in OneNote type the action that needs to be taken and make a task out of it by choosing Outlook task. From the menu you can set a timespan. Downside is that you do need Outlook to set it to be reminded. So the challenge is to set Outlook as the client on the Android and Apple devices. There is no other way to set reminders from OneNote.

Maurice

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. Thank You

• Marked as answer by janhoedt Tuesday, March 3, 2015 2:22 PM
    Saturday, February 28, 2015 9:10 PM
  • Don't get the point of OneNote then: you can make notes but not set reminders for it? Why should I use it then? Any other suggestion of tool I could use that can do it all?

Jan Hoedt

Monday, March 2, 2015 9:21 AM
  • Evernote can do it pop ups and reminder emails with all your notes each morning.  

I like how OneNote is a much more polished system than EN but I have some killer EN features I must have in OneNote in order to make the switch so i'm playing with IFTTT (google IFTTT if you haven't heard of it) right now to find a way to get daily email reminders for important tasks.

• Edited by Hauvis111 Monday, June 8, 2015 7:52 AM
    Monday, June 8, 2015 7:51 AM
  • Microsoft is always five steps behind when it comes to these kinds of things. I checked out Office 2016, especially OneNote and it's basically the same thing as 2013 as 2013 was basically the same things as 2010. There may be background changes that go on and a paint job but in my opinion, Microsoft releases new "versions" of it's software that is unjustified which is why I'm not going to purchase/subscribe to Office 2016. I'm looking at Evernote right now because of it's features that help with productivity.

Microsoft, when will you guys ever get it? People don't want to use two or three apps for productivity - they want to use one.

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 1:02 AM
  • I've been using one note for all of an hour, came to add a date into a todo list and thought "I wonder if I can get a reminder on my windows phone for this?"  The fact that I came across a brick wall so quickly does not bode well for me sticking with this solution.  In fact I'm wondering why I subscribe to office?  Outlooks mail rules are straight out of 1998, and I barely touch its other features.  Google handles my calender and spreadsheets.  Nobody in my house uses word any more except my son for school assignments.  Publisher Lols and powerpoint never get a look in.  If I'm forced to evernote I'll find a new mail client and be done with it.
    Thursday, September 17, 2015 4:44 AM
  • Well said!
    Friday, September 25, 2015 10:37 AM
  • So I just wanted to check back and see if there has been an update to this thread?  What about a pluging? 

I have a Galaxy Note 5 and sometimes take a quick note and need to set a reminder. Are we all still looking to go to Evernote?

bryan

Saturday, May 14, 2016 3:15 PM
  • Just checking in on this too. I've been trying to integrate OneNote more into my personal infrastructure, and a ToDo list with auto-notification on your phone would be a killer feature. I'm now actively looking into Google Keep, which does phone notifications off tasks nicely.
    Thursday, May 26, 2016 4:34 PM
  • There are plenty of apps that can send reminder through sms, email, pop up notifications and some app with the features of reminding through a phone call... wow! search for sms schedular, life reminder, GTask, splendo, google keep and others. These are the apps i have personally used and have the option to customize your reminders in great detail. 

**My purpose is to help you solve your problems**

• Edited by Xpriggan Saturday, June 18, 2016 8:32 PM
    Saturday, June 18, 2016 8:31 PM
  • Go vote for this feature at https://onenote.uservoice.com/forums/327186-onenote-for-windows-windows-phone/suggestions/9907269-reminders
    Saturday, July 2, 2016 7:47 AM
  • well if microsoft is going to lag behind I guess Ill move everything to Google keep! I wanted One Note to work but the integration issues are just too numerous. 

Bye

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 3:15 PM
  • Agreed!  I'm a long-time user of Evernote but jumped when they started squeezing their customers for money. In many ways Onenote looks so much more refined and "clean", but lacking such a core feature as a stand-alone notification option really seems like a brain-fart. 

How hard can it be? 

Is MS trying to force their users to use their last-century mail app Outlook?  Easy, just look at Gmail and start fixing, then surely customers will come, but until then, get with the program and add notification. Thanks.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 9:44 AM
  • To set reminders, Use the send email feature of Onenote.

Send the page or a link to your email. (Most apps have a snooze or similar feature)

open mail and set snooze to a time to receive the reminder on you phone through the email reminder/snooze feature.

• Edited by itIs-me Monday, July 17, 2017 3:35 AM
    Monday, July 17, 2017 3:34 AM
  • One workaround, is to go in Outlook Options, under Tasks, and check the first checkbox in order to set a reminder BY DEFAULT for each task that has a due date. It makes it for me, since i only need that on such tasks.

The drawback is that you have to decide of an hour (the default) where it will remind you, but i put that at 4:30PM, before COB, and it's very good. 

Monday, February 26, 2018 10:30 AM