none
Skype/Lync Locations not appearing (clients not picking up wiremap) RRS feed

• Question

• of course everything *seems* right...

(https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg413069.aspx)

interested in locations by subnet- worked before not sure when it stopped. We were lync 2013 enterprise and are now SFB on prem std. Clients upgraded (say 150 out of 500) from lync to sfb also.

Get-CsLisSubnet shows expected values - a subnet and a location with the appropriate name. Have published also. Problem is location is not automatically setting at the client. Nothing. Values don't appear in location dropdown, but custom values stick. What gives?

client is not picking it up I guess

Thursday, January 12, 2017 6:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Daniel,

Welcome to our forum.

For users accounts which have been moved to SFB server, please add this specific network elements on SFB server 2015, and delete older specific network elements on Lync server 2013. Don’t forget to publish the location database, then restart SFB client to check if the issue persist.

If there are any questions or issues, please be free to let me know.            

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 13, 2017 8:48 AM
  • Greetings and thanks for your reply. I don't quite get what you mean. The SFB servers are on the same subnet that the old Lync servers were on and the subnets that the clients are on did not change either. It's unclear what network segments there would be to add-- or for that matter, what network segments there would be to delete. Also, it seems no one is getting anything. If it were one or two specific entries, it would make sense to simply update that part of the wiremap.

Is this a known migration thing- that even though it appears in the database, it will not actually get used unless you re-run everything again- rebuild, basically? Or is there some issue where it is not stored in the same db as before (some db names changed slightly) and the clients are looking to a different/old db for the information?

Friday, January 13, 2017 1:26 PM
  • ONE MORE QUESTION...

For establishing subnets in locations (get-/set- CsLisSubnet) are there any options to sensibly abbreviate some of these entries, i.e. CIDR notation? Or does the applet only understand /24 ?

Friday, January 13, 2017 3:26 PM
  • well, I re-ran the process to manually add in a csv etc and all went well, but clients still see nothing.

I have two sites with sfb std and pool paired front ends...

Friday, January 13, 2017 10:34 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

We suggest you run “Get-CsLisSubnet” on SFB management shell to check if it could get the correct values. If not, run the following command to update CMS: Update-CsUserDatabase

If there are any issues, please be free to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 19, 2017 10:10 AM
  • Yup. I did that and all comes out as expected. -correctly that is.
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 2:09 PM
  • btw, question: did the database change by any chance between lync and sfb ? maybe the commands are reading properly from the database, but maybe something in the conversion / upgrade is reading a different database or simply isn't reading that one. Note: It wasn't just an upgrade from lync to sfb, it was an "side-grade" from enterprise to standard. the databases migrated locally as is appropriate, but maybe a reg key that tells the wiremap where to pull from needs to change ; maybe it's still trying to look to a remote sql db which is no longer there instead of a local one, when it comes to applying the wiremap.

Thursday, January 19, 2017 2:17 PM
  • Ok next clue: I installed sql svr mgmt. studio and went to look at lis database and sure enough, the dbo.subnet table is blank. strange that the command line seems to display a proper update and get-cslissubnet produces expected results.

It seems like the clients are trying to pull from the (blank) database, but the server is loading them somewhere else.

better detail: we are two sites with SFB STD installed and pool pairing set up on the fe servers. I checked the other LIS database, and it is fully populated; however, it really seems like no client is getting this information. Nothing I do seems to import anything into one of the SFB servers, but even the one that has addresses appears to be unused.

Friday, January 20, 2017 8:11 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

To this issue, we suggest you do the following steps for troubleshooting:

1. Update SFB server side and client side to the latest
    2. Rebuild user SFB profile to reload information from SFB server side
    3. Rebuild network subnets as the following link: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg412933.aspx

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu

Saturday, February 4, 2017 2:46 AM
  • Did all that; still no go. get-cslissubnet produces expected results. Thinking maybe the database that gets updated isn't the database that get's queried: this was an u/g from lync to sfb, perhaps something wrong there. I dunno.
    Tuesday, February 7, 2017 8:58 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

For a test,  we suggest disable all firewall on SFB server and restart SFB server to check if the issue persist.

In addition, check if there are any related errors in application log and post them for our troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 6:01 AM
  • Windows firewall is not on and has never been on.

Nothing remarkable in Application Event Viewer.

System Event Viewer has Schannel 36888 errors scattered about.

System Event Viewer has Lsa (LsaSrv) warning 6038 about use of ntlm security. Hmmm... wonder if this is a cert error or protocol error. We do have an internal CA and are upgrading (old one issues sha-1  and new is/will issue sha-2.

Lync Event viewer:  some messages about phone book not normalizing (?) we don't really use telephony yet- just a few test users.

hmm.. EWS autodiscovery failure (32054) several; ls backup service warning about an exception handled gracefully (4069).

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 1:19 PM
  • Did you tried publishing from SFB shell again?using below command

publish-cslislocation

Jayakumar K

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 1:57 PM
  • yeah. tried. no go. :(
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 2:38 PM
  • One more thing: in the sql table view, the locationID is just a number and not the three-letter codes we have for example subnet 192.168.0.0  would be assigned a location of ICI but in the db table, it shows as "3". ??? Try to edit table manually and it says "input string was not in a correct format"

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 9:23 PM
  • Daniel, did you ever get this resolved? I'm experiencing the same problem. All the subnets are configured and reporting as expected. This worked for quite a while and for some reason ??  it as stopped. I've re-published, double checked info, but no joy (or location). The only change we've made recently was enabling Modern Auth. Thanks, Neale

Neale

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 9:39 PM
  • No. It seems to come and go on it's own. Just gave up and let users make entries if they feel like it.
    Thursday, March 14, 2019 5:01 PM
  • Thanks for the response. Since posting this, it appears (at least in our case) to be DNS related. A "CTRL+Right Click" on the skype icon in the sys tray, then click the "configuration information" shows the setting "Inside User Status" as FALSE even though they are inside one of our configured locations/subnets. It appears that the skype is resolving to external servers (edge) vs internal (front end) for some reason... ???? If I can get this resolved, I'll post back. 

Neale

Thursday, March 14, 2019 5:06 PM
  • Fascinating! My status is the same. FALSE to Inside... Is it Edge or Reverse Proxy that makes the determination in this situation? I haven't looked in a while, but I remember a horrid HOSTS File on one/both of those Edge/Reverse Proxy servers... Maybe you/we have a rogue hosts entry? Or a lack of one?
    Thursday, March 14, 2019 5:26 PM