none
Metadata missing when uploading a Document with same name

Question

• I have a SP2013 document library with content type and metadata set on it.  I uploaded a document the first time and put in any required data.  Note that some of the required fields are defaulted.  The document gets uploaded and the metadata attached.  I then moved in a new version that the users had.  The file name is the same and it tells me that it already exist and do I want to replace to don't upload.  I click on replace.  It then moves in the document but I lose all the values of the metadata.  Even the ones that are defaulting turn up empty.  This can't be how it should work.  My users will hate this.  Could the metadata form at least pop up so the user can re-enter the missing data.  Also why won't it use the default values I assigned to the library.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 5:06 PM

Answers

• Are you sure the document you are trying to replace with has the metadata associated with it? Generally if you try to replace a document with another one which has no metadata, all the metadata fields will be replaced with the values in the new document. If the replacement document has no metadata associated, then it will blank them out.

How is the replacement document generated? Did you download from the library and made some changes or is it created as a new document altogether? In the latter case, it will not have any metadata associated.

NLV - MCTS - Blog - Twitter - In

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 5:59 PM
  • Thanks for the reply

I've read the thread with SP2010 metadata missing which I understand.  I don't agree, but I understand that a document with no metadata being uploaded overwrites what is there, but I think Microsoft makes it very hard on users to accept using metadata. Especially if you have multiple documents that need to be updated every so often, like vendor manuals.

Anyway, this file is an updated version that the users had somewhere else.  I proceeded to upload and yes the metadata went away.  Again, I don't like it, but I understand the concept.  The big problem I have is that my defaulted field values get wiped out also.  Why couldn't those defaulted values a least get populated.

I think I know the answer.  Make sure any updates to documents are done through SP or be ready to put in the metadata again.

Thanks NLV

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 6:33 PM

All replies

• I also tried both the drag and drop feature and the upload.  At least with the upload logic, the document properties box gets displayed.  All the values are blank, even the ones that get defaulted.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 5:19 PM
  • Are you sure the document you are trying to replace with has the metadata associated with it? Generally if you try to replace a document with another one which has no metadata, all the metadata fields will be replaced with the values in the new document. If the replacement document has no metadata associated, then it will blank them out.

How is the replacement document generated? Did you download from the library and made some changes or is it created as a new document altogether? In the latter case, it will not have any metadata associated.

NLV - MCTS - Blog - Twitter - In

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 5:59 PM
  • Thanks for the reply

I've read the thread with SP2010 metadata missing which I understand.  I don't agree, but I understand that a document with no metadata being uploaded overwrites what is there, but I think Microsoft makes it very hard on users to accept using metadata. Especially if you have multiple documents that need to be updated every so often, like vendor manuals.

Anyway, this file is an updated version that the users had somewhere else.  I proceeded to upload and yes the metadata went away.  Again, I don't like it, but I understand the concept.  The big problem I have is that my defaulted field values get wiped out also.  Why couldn't those defaulted values a least get populated.

I think I know the answer.  Make sure any updates to documents are done through SP or be ready to put in the metadata again.

Thanks NLV

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 6:33 PM
  • You will need to write a custom solution to keep the metadata.

As a workaround, you may get help from the solutions that is explained in below threads:

How do I upload and overwrite document while keeping the same document properties

Metadata missing when revising document

Document Library Metadata Lost when Office File replaced

Hope this helps!

Easily migrate anything from Office 365, File Servers, Public Folders, OneDrive and SharePoint to SharePoint Online easily with Lepide SharePoint Migrator.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:16 AM
  • Hi BJ Mc,

It is very happy that you have found the answer.

Thank you for your sharing and it will help others have the same issue.

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 8:04 AM