Management Configuration Service group failed to perform snapshot synchronization work item for a period of time RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am getting below error in my production environment, any help / suggestion 

Management Configuration Service group failed to perform snapshot synchronization work item for a period of time. Last error message (if available): Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.DataAccessLayer.DataAccessException: Data access operation failed
    at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.DataAccessLayer.DataAccessOperation.ExecuteSynchronously(Int32 timeoutSeconds, WaitHandle stopWaitHandle)
    at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.SqlConfigurationStore.ConfigurationStore.ExecuteOperationSynchronously(IDataAccessConnectedOperation operation, String operationName)
    at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.SqlConfigurationStore.ConfigurationStore.StartSnapshot()
    at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.Engine.SnapshotSynchronizationWorkItem.StartSnapshot()
    at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.Engine.SnapshotSynchronizationWorkItem.ExecuteSharedWorkItem()
    at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.Interop.SharedWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
    -----------------------------------
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Sql execution failed. Error 50000, Level 16, State 1, Procedure SnapshotSynchronizationStart, Line 49, Message: Failed to set configuration space lock. Other process uses config space
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.CompleteAsyncExecuteReader()
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.EndExecuteNonQueryInternal(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.EndExecuteNonQuery(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
    at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.DataAccessLayer.NonQuerySqlCommandOperation.SqlCommandCompleted(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
    ClientConnectionId:1932c109-e524-4500-a67a-bbfe5395974b
    Error Number:50000,State:1,Class:16

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 12:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Same issue here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/74f95573-b6c8-4891-ba24-1bf7cabd8d9d/management-configuration-service-group-failed-to-perform-snapshot-synchronization-work-item-for-a?forum=operationsmanagergeneral

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 12:19 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for reply,

I am getting "Failed to set configuration space lock. Other process uses config space" during synchronization.

i checked the attached url, its not working for me.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 12:29 PM
  • I'm surprised the previous comment wasn't marked as the answer as seems to happen here too often.

It wont address this issue, its not timeouts it multiple processes attempting to lock the config space.

The previous time this happened with me the OM wasn't behaving nicely we had tons of blocked processes due to a config process continually rolling back. With no way of stopping this we had to stop the SQL instance, and wait for it to recover (around 15+ minutes with all scom servers having the data access service stopped to speed up the process). It worked fine after that. however I'm seeing this come back again without the same obvious issue from time to time. The problem is identifying what else is locking the config space.

I'm not sure if this may be due to us needing to have updated the timeouts in the past due to the complexity of our solution (2k+ servers 2k+ URLS, SAN's, network kit, AWS etc) as this would see each process take longer and more chance for overlap.

Its a few months now did you work out a solution for your occurance?

Monday, November 2, 2015 11:17 PM
  • Procedure SnapshotSynchronizationStart, Line 49, Message: Failed to set configuration space lock. Other process uses config space

That means that most likely we tried to run a snapshot, and this failed because another management server was running a synch at the same time. You can look at the config synch logging table in SQL: (select * from cs.workitems) and see if they finished or not on the next run of snapshot synch.
    Roger

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 3:38 AM
  • Hi Guys,

I know its an old query but i was facing the same issue and after lots of R&D found the solution,

The reason has correctly explained by Roger for this specific error description and the same is explained by Kevin Holman in the comments section on this link  https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kevinholman/2013/10/24/opsmgr-sql-mp-version-6-4-1-0-capabilities-and-configuration/

To check the status of the Snapshot Synchronization you can use the below SQL Query

Select WorkItemName, b.WorkItemStateName, ServerName, StartedDateTimeUtc, CompletedDateTimeUtc, DurationSeconds, ERRORMESSAGE

from cs.WorkItem a , cs.WorkItemState b

where a.WorkItemStateId= b.WorkItemStateId

and WorkItemName = 'SnapshotSynchronization'

Solution:

To run the task “Request Snapshot Synchronization” which can be found when we select “ Management Configuration Service Group” in the below mentioned view

View: Monitoring>Operations Manager>Management Group Health> Management Group Functions.

The task will execute the Stored Procedure “SnapshotSynchronizationForce” on the OpsMgr DB.

Please note there are two tasks with same name but with different targets i.e. 'Management Configuration Service Group' and 'Management Configuration Services'

The other task can be found on below view after selecting the Management Server you want the Task to be executed on

View: Monitoring>Operations Manager>Management Configuration Service> Services  State

Happy SCOMming :)

Taha

• Proposed as answer by Taha B Ansari Sunday, April 23, 2017 1:11 PM
    Sunday, April 24, 2016 9:44 PM
  • Hi Guys,

I know its an old query but i was facing the same issue and after lots of R&D found the solution,

The reason has correctly explained by Roger for this specific error description and the same is explained by Kevin Holman in the comments section on this link  https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kevinholman/2013/10/24/opsmgr-sql-mp-version-6-4-1-0-capabilities-and-configuration/

To check the status of the Snapshot Synchronization you can use the below SQL Query

Select WorkItemName, b.WorkItemStateName, ServerName, StartedDateTimeUtc, CompletedDateTimeUtc, DurationSeconds, ERRORMESSAGE

from cs.WorkItem a , cs.WorkItemState b

where a.WorkItemStateId= b.WorkItemStateId

and WorkItemName = 'SnapshotSynchronization'

Solution:

To run the task “Request Snapshot Synchronization” which can be found when we select “ Management Configuration Service Group” in the below mentioned view

View: Monitoring>Operations Manager>Management Group Health> Management Group Functions.

The task will execute the Stored Procedure “SnapshotSynchronizationForce” on the OpsMgr DB.

Please note there are two tasks with same name but with different targets i.e. 'Management Configuration Service Group' and 'Management Configuration Services'

The other task can be found on below view after selecting the Management Server you want the Task to be executed on

View: Monitoring>Operations Manager>Management Configuration Service> Services  State

Happy SCOMming :)

Taha

Thanks Taha,

Worked like a charm.

Gautam.75801

Sunday, November 27, 2016 11:10 PM