none
Evaluation edition to fully activated version using OLP license-Windows server 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

i downloaded windows server 2019  Datacenter evaluation version and want to license it. i have an olp license and planning to use it. Will it get activated using olp license or do i need oem license?

Regards

Firoz

Thursday, June 20, 2019 9:00 AM

All replies

• I believe an OLP functions like a MAK license.  A MAK license can be used to activate the evaluation copy.  OEM licenses are purchased with the hardware.  To even know if you could purchase an OEM license, you would have to contact the OEM and have them answer any questions about their ability to activate as they are responsible for support once they sign the OEM agreement.

Just make sure that you do not first install Active Directory services on the system before you try to activate.  Microsoft does not support activating an evaluation copy that is running as a domain controller.

tim

Thursday, June 20, 2019 1:06 PM
  • The windows server 2019 evaluation can only be activated using a retail product key. For OEM key I'd ask the OEM provider (some do use eval media) or get the distribution media from the OEM provider. If a volume key then you can download volume installation media from the volume center.

https://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/servicecenter/Help/Contact.aspx

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, June 20, 2019 2:18 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

As far as I'm concerned, you can activate it using OLP license.

Meanwhile, please refer to the following link which may help:

http://www.checkyourlogs.net/?p=64153

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Best regards,

Hurry

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, June 21, 2019 2:57 AM
  • Thank you
    Friday, June 21, 2019 12:34 PM
  • Thanks tim . Its great to know that AD issue will come up
    Friday, June 21, 2019 12:40 PM
  • Hi,

Is there anything else I can do to help you on this issue?

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Hurry

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Sunday, June 23, 2019 1:37 PM