none
LYSS database error in Lync log on the Front End server, Enterprise Edition

Question

• On the Lync 2013 Front End server (Enterprise Edition) LS Storage service logs a pair of errors in the Lync Event Log.

Does anyone experience the same error? Is there any fix?

This was clean install of FE server, applied all the latest patches and updates as of June 2013.

1) Event ID 32013

Cannot perform a LYSS database operation.

Message=StoreContext{traceId=[73768671], activityId=[04fdd55f-f598-4b1a-bc25-f551ed54c59a]} GetLyssDBUsage sproc failed: SprocNativeError = [15247]

Exception: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): User does not have permission to perform this action.

Object 'dbo.ItemQueue' was successfully marked for recompilation.

Object 'dbo.DataBlob' was successfully marked for recompilation.

2) Event ID 32071

Storage Service had a failure while refreshing its calculation of DB space used.

DB Space Used Refresh Error. Detected false value for lyssDBUsageReader.HasData() while refreshing LyssDBUsage

Cause: The Timer task to refresh the DB space used value ran into an exception. This action will be retried and should auto recover.

Resolution:

Check event details. If problem persists, notify your organization's support team with the event details.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 6:05 PM

Answers

• Here is what I've done to fix it with the help of DBA after tracing SQL connection with SQL Profiler.

In lynclocal SQLexpress on the front end, created login with the script:

CREATE LOGIN [DomainName\FrontendName$] FROM WINDOWS WITH DEFAULT_DATABASE=[master], DEFAULT_LANGUAGE=[us_english]

In lynclocal SQLexpress, added this login as db_owner role for the LYSS database as well as granted it db_datareader for master database as it was failing to access those DBs with the computer account.

I can see that computer account has Connect permission via RTC Component Local Group on the server, but apparently it was not enough.

Errors stopped and now there is no errors or warnings in Lync log on the front end.

DBO is probably excessive, but I have no time to fine tune it for now.

Failing SQL stored procedure was GetLyssDBUsage

• Marked as answer by OZ2006 Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:02 PM
    • Edited by OZ2006 Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:04 PM Updated info
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:02 PM

All replies

• Is this a new problem?  When did it start? 

Please “Vote As Helpful” and/or “Mark As Answer” if this post helped you.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:29 PM
  • Hi,OZ2006,

Does "all the latest patches" mean Lync server patches or Windows patches or SQL patches?

Did this happen before or after you install all the latest patches?

Also please check the event viewer on your backend server and see if there are any database error message.

Regards,

Sharon

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××× Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:06 AM
  • Hi, i have seen weird issues after SQL 2012 SP1 installations and also if it is a Single server pool.

Also verify the settings in SQL http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg425848.aspx

Best Regards // Tommy Clarke - Please follow me @ Blog
    and Twitter

Thursday, July 11, 2013 11:27 AM
  • Latest patches means Windows, SQL 2012 SP1 and Lync Server 2013 CU KB 2809243.

Cannot say if this error started after a specific update.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 1:39 PM
  • Can you login to your SQL server with Management Console and check if Lyss database is there?

Thursday, July 11, 2013 1:48 PM
  • Guys, it's about local database LYSS on local SQLExpress instance LYNCLOCAL not the back end SQL.
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 1:49 PM
  • LYSS is operational as far as I can tell.

There is no errors in SQL log (local SQLexpress) for this database

Thursday, July 11, 2013 1:54 PM
  • It does not matter if it is SQL Express or back end SQL.  If you have SQL Management Console anywhere, you should be able to connect.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 2:16 PM
  • Sorry, I had no Lync Server CU KB 2809243 on that particular box.

Just applied it and will post if error appears again after server reboot.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 2:20 PM
  • I confirm that same pair of errors appears again on the front end and it regards to local LYSS database hosted by LYNCLOCAL instance of SQLExpress.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:01 PM
  • Here is what I've done to fix it with the help of DBA after tracing SQL connection with SQL Profiler.

In lynclocal SQLexpress on the front end, created login with the script:

CREATE LOGIN [DomainName\FrontendName$] FROM WINDOWS WITH DEFAULT_DATABASE=[master], DEFAULT_LANGUAGE=[us_english]

In lynclocal SQLexpress, added this login as db_owner role for the LYSS database as well as granted it db_datareader for master database as it was failing to access those DBs with the computer account.

I can see that computer account has Connect permission via RTC Component Local Group on the server, but apparently it was not enough.

Errors stopped and now there is no errors or warnings in Lync log on the front end.

DBO is probably excessive, but I have no time to fine tune it for now.

Failing SQL stored procedure was GetLyssDBUsage

• Marked as answer by OZ2006 Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:02 PM
    • Edited by OZ2006 Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:04 PM Updated info
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:02 PM
  • I have this issue on a standard FE 2013 Server, and the LYSS is not really used in this scenario unless arching to Exchange.  Anyways after a lot of chasing my tail looking at permissions, I saw a row of data in the DBO.DataBlob table, the expiry date against was set for a few days time.

Compared this with an exact replica in a lab (not reporting these errors in the logs) and this table is empty, sooo deleted this row (MAKING A BACKUP FIRST!) and no more deadlock issue, which is what this error is a corrupt entry in the table above, that creates a Table Deadlock and the "User does not have permissions..." think this is to do with deadlock.

My feeling is while you was troubleshooting and assigning permissions the record expiry time took effect and was removed from the table, but I would like some feedback if OK if this was the case bud.

Thanks

Mem

Friday, December 13, 2013 7:59 PM