none
Does Windows 10 home support smb3 RRS feed

• Question

• Having trouble accessing windows server 2012 with smb1 disabled form a windows 10 home laptop. Does windows 10 home support smb2/3? Does only the pro version support it?

Thanks.

Saturday, August 12, 2017 3:32 AM

All replies

• Supported by all versions/editions of Windows 10.

tim

• Proposed as answer by Nedim Mehic Saturday, August 12, 2017 5:28 PM
    Saturday, August 12, 2017 1:42 PM
  • Does windows 10 still use smb1 for the browse list? The server does not show in file explorer under Network but I can still access the shares if I know the server ip.

Thanks.

• Edited by louisg00 Saturday, August 12, 2017 8:45 PM
    Saturday, August 12, 2017 8:03 PM
  • Hi,

that is because you have "Network discovery" turned off 

Check here:  Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

Radek

Monday, August 14, 2017 8:00 AM
  • Hi louisg00

Generally, disable SMB 1.0 in win10 will not take any side effects.

The version of SMB 1.0 is used in Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2003 R2.

Disable SMB 1.0 only affect the following reasons:

1.You’re still running XP or WS2003 under a custom support agreement.

2.You have old management software that demands admins browse via the ‘network neighborhood’ master browser list.

3.You run old multi-function printers with old firmware in order to “scan to share”.

For your reference:

Which version of the SMB protocol (SMB 1.0, SMB 2.0, SMB 2.1, SMB 3.0 or SMB 3.02) are you using?

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/josebda/2013/10/02/windows-server-2012-r2-which-version-of-the-smb-protocol-smb-1-0-smb-2-0-smb-2-1-smb-3-0-or-smb-3-02-are-you-using/

Stop using SMB1

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2016/09/16/stop-using-smb1/

>>The server does not show in file explorer under Network but I can still access the shares if I know the server ip

Based on my understanding, you could access the server by its IP address but cannot access it by its name.

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Is there any errors? Please check if you could ping with FQDN. You may disable NetBIOS to check if the error still occurs. It's probably a DNS issue.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 14, 2017 8:13 AM
  • Hi louisg00,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:11 AM