none
Starting Video message but video does not display RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have 1 user that cannot do video conference recently. It did work, but now it has stopped. Video does not work for peer to peer or with more people.

When at the users laptop.

When you click on "Video Button" in lync it just shows the message "Starting Video" but video does not start. They can see me though. And vise versa if I start the video they can see me but the starting video message appears for them and the circular animation appears (as you see before the video starts).

When i open video settings I can see that the cam is fine. At the moment you end the atttempted video session I can very briefly see myself in the small preview box. This box is grey up until this stage.

I have read about skype "hijacking" the video stream if skype is runing in the background. This user did have skype and I have stopped it from running in the background and tried lync again but still no video (still cant see myself in the preview or broadcast to others). This is a dell laptop and has Dell cam software that pops up every now and then when video did start in the past, but again I have tweaked the options for this not to start with windows.

Any ideas on whats causing this. This is the first I have seen this in over 500 deployed users so far.

Thanks

NEOband

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 4:45 PM

Answers

• Hi Sharon

Thankyou for your input.

I have noticed on other sitres that your suggestion has worked. However my solution was caused by Skype that was running in the background somehow and capturing the camera.

I had already unticked skype NOT to start with windows, but still the problem was there. So I uninstalled Skype and rebooted. TADA! All fixed. I reinstalled skype and make sure that the tick box to start skype with windows was NOT ticked.

Now both products work at same time. Weird, but works for me.

NEOband

• Marked as answer by NEOband Thursday, July 19, 2012 11:29 AM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 11:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,NEOband,

Does this user have 2 display/video cards on the laptop?Do the card have latest driver installed?

I have seen that if both video/video cards enabled in BIOS on Dell Latitude E6520,it will freeze when you do video call,the workaround is disable one of them(mostly is NVIDA card). 

You can look through this old thread(Someone in the bottom confirmed that newest driver from www.nvidia.com make it works)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ocsclients/thread/241cec92-55fd-41de-8e9a-591f6988bba7#f3c916ef-857b-4578-b5ce-1194257d0cb0 

Hope these helpful!

B/R

Sharon

Sharon Shen

TechNet Community Support

************************************************************************************************************************

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

• Marked as answer by Sharon.ShenModerator Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:44 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by NEOband Thursday, July 19, 2012 11:26 AM
    Wednesday, July 4, 2012 6:49 AM
  • Hi Sharon

Thankyou for your input.

I have noticed on other sitres that your suggestion has worked. However my solution was caused by Skype that was running in the background somehow and capturing the camera.

I had already unticked skype NOT to start with windows, but still the problem was there. So I uninstalled Skype and rebooted. TADA! All fixed. I reinstalled skype and make sure that the tick box to start skype with windows was NOT ticked.

Now both products work at same time. Weird, but works for me.

NEOband

• Marked as answer by NEOband Thursday, July 19, 2012 11:29 AM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 11:29 AM