Federation only for confirmed contacts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We would like to enable Lync federation, but this federation should not be open for everyone.
    What we need is: Before external users are able to see presence information of our users, they must first send a request to the user. The user can then accept this request, and from that point the external user is able to see the presence information.

How can I configure that?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Peter

Monday, August 6, 2012 9:34 AM

Answers

• Hi Peter,

Not possible unfortunately.

If federation is active (either thru SRV or Allow list)  then the other person will be able to see your presence.

That is the shole idea behinf federation.

Cheers

If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks.

Jean-Philippe Breton | Senior Microsoft Consultant | MCTS, MCITP, MCT, Lync MVP

• Proposed as answer by JP BretonMVP Thursday, August 9, 2012 3:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kent-Huang Thursday, August 16, 2012 10:32 AM
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 3:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Peter, if you have publish your SRV record for federation in DNS, you are in a Open (or Dynamic) Federation mode.

If that is the case, then people will be able to see presence without request of the user.

You can read this ncice blog that talk about the difference possibility about Federation configuration:

http://ocsguy.com/2011/04/20/a-few-words-on-federation/

Cheers

If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks.

Monday, August 6, 2012 2:05 PM
  • Hi Jean-Philippe

Thanks for that interesting link. I'm not sure if that answers my question.

I know now that there are 3 types of federation. But if my understanding is correct, if an external user knows my sip address, he's automatically able to see my presence - on all 3 types of federation?

Isn't there a possibility to enable federation, but external users first need to send a request? Like it works with Skype?

Regards
    Peter

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 6:51 AM
  • Hi Peter,

Not possible unfortunately.

If federation is active (either thru SRV or Allow list)  then the other person will be able to see your presence.

That is the shole idea behinf federation.

Cheers

• Proposed as answer by JP BretonMVP Thursday, August 9, 2012 3:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kent-Huang Thursday, August 16, 2012 10:32 AM
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 3:10 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, it cannot be achieved.

Regards,

Kent Huang

TechNet Community Support

************************************************************************************************************************

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

• Edited by Kent-Huang Thursday, August 9, 2012 6:59 AM
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 6:41 AM
  • Thanks.

Regards
    Peter

• Edited by PeterN22 Monday, August 20, 2012 7:00 AM
    Monday, August 20, 2012 7:00 AM