none
File Cluster Migration from 2008R2 to 2016 - Recreate shares RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I was trying to migrate a file cluster ( it has only file server installed and no other features ) from 2008 R2 to 2016. For which i have choose to build a new cluster in 2016 and remap the storage attached to the old 2008 R2 cluster to 2016 Cluster. I have done a small POC and it looks good. What i looked is , i dont see the cluster File shares on the new 2016 after storage remapping. I see my NTFS permissions intact. There are a lot of shares present and i cant sit down and recreate all the file shares on my new cluster.  Is there a way to export the cluster file shares from registry ? or  any script which i can use to execute and bring all the cluster file shares on the 2016 cluster.Please suggest

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 12:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Shares normally are stored in the registry at: 
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanServer\Shares.

By exporting this registry key you can get all the shares, drive paths, and permissions used by your shares, however I'm not entirely sure if this works in a cluster, as I haven't tried it myself.

Another option is to use the Copy Cluster roles, but I'm afraid from a Windows Server 2008 R2 it only works to Windows Server 2012 R2.

You might be required to do some manual work here, but to speed it up you can use PowerShell.

For future reference, I would strongly recommend to start using DFS Namespaces/DFS shares, this will help you out a lot when decommissioning/upgrading your file servers.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 12:39 PM
  • Hi 

Thanks Leon. I have already checked this out and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanServer\Shares.

represents only local shares on the server. i don't find any shares in that path. We should look into Cluster shares. Im not sure if i do that how it works . Hope i need to write a script to create shares. 

I agree to you Leon on using DFS namespaces. But this is all customer call. All we can do it just suggest :)

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 2:18 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your question.

In previous versions of clustering, the cluster service maintained cluster file share information in the registry key HKLM\System\CurrrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares.

For now, this registry key change to the path: HKLM\Cluster\Resources\Resources ID(xxxxxxx)\ as the following figure,

Meanwhile, as Leon, we can utilize Copy Cluster Roles for your need from older to the new cluster, then taking the clod one offline. Please refer to the following articles,

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-r2-and-2012/dn530781(v%3Dws.11)

https://blog.workinghardinit.work/tag/copy-cluster-roles/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Then, after the process finishes, we could check cluster validation and cluster roles copy report for cluster proper functioning.

After cluster roles copied, it provides a Failover Cluster Copy Roles Pre-Copy Report (formerly the Pre-Migration Report) and a Failover Cluster Copy Roles Post-Copy Report (formerly the Post-Migration Report), which provide important information. We recommend that you review both reports while performing a migration:

• The Pre-Copy Roles Report explains whether each resource that you plan to migrate is eligible for migration.
    • The Post-Copy Roles Report contains information about the success of the migration, and describes additional steps that might be needed before you bring the migrated resources online.

Details:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-r2-and-2012/dn530781(v%3Dws.11)

Hope above information can help you. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, June 27, 2019 6:24 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 9:37 AM
  • i recently migrated a large file server cluster using the following powershell on the new cluster...

$shares = get-smbshare -name oldcluster -scopename instance

$shares |% {new-smbshare -scopename instance -name $_.name -path $_.path -fullaccess everyone

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 10:19 AM
  • Hi,

Could the above reply be of help? If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, feel free to feed back.

Best Regards,

Michael

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 8:19 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Michael

Friday, July 5, 2019 9:40 AM