none
Skype Web App launches instead of Skype for Business RRS feed

• Question

• Got a remote user on Windows 8.1, using Office Professional 2013 (yes, I know - we're a bit behind!). He should have Skype for Business installed as part of Office like all other users, but for some reason, when he clicks on the SfB icon in Start Menu, it launches "Skype Web App" instead.

Trouble is that this app has much less functionality than SfB and certain things just don't work at all in it (causes the app to crash), so we'd much rather get him on SfB like all his colleagues.

We don't know how he's managed to get this on his laptop and it certainly doesn't appear in Programs & Features, so we can't easily uninstall it, we just want to get SfB to be the default. I've even gone into Add/Remove Features for Office and uninstalled SfB, then reinstalled it, hoping that this might be enough to force it back to being the correct program, but no, it still launches SWA when you click on the icon.

Anyone got any idea how we can fix this?

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 4:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Steve R5,

Do you mean Skype for Business Web App?

Skype for Business Web App are browser-based meeting apps that you use to join Skype for Business meetings.

Make sure that the icon you clicked is the second one as the following image.

In order to get a clearer picture of this problem, please provide me with a screenshot with Skype Web App.

Moreover, you can check the client log and look through if there is any error message about this issue.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 24, 2019 6:11 AM
  • Hi Sharon

I will try to get a screenshot of the app, but the user is in a different time zone, so I may have to wait a while before I can access his laptop. But yes, we are clicking on the Skype for Business icon.

Where would I find the client log? Are these the files in %LOCALAPPDATA%/Microsoft/Office/15.0/Lync/Tracing? There's nothing obvious in the Windows Event Logs at the times when the user starts up Skype, although there are errors logged when it crashes (which is usually when he tries to start a video call with someone internally within the company).

• Edited by Steve R5 Thursday, October 24, 2019 9:49 AM
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 9:45 AM
  • Hi Steve R5,

Yes, the client log is in “%LOCALAPPDATA%/Microsoft/Office/15.0/Lync/Tracing”.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 24, 2019 9:55 AM
  • Okay, so have just remoted in to the user's laptop. Click on the Skype for Business icon and the usual SfB splash screen appears:

But when it starts logging on, that's when it says Skype Web App instead (although the bar at the top still says SfB).

After a 20 seconds or so, we get the following screen that looks as though it is trying to sign in to Office365, even though we've got a locally installed copy of Office - this does not appear when starting Skype on other laptops.

Eventually after about a minute, Skype does load and it looks similar to the SfB version on other laptops, but some items are laid out slightly differently, plus the Options page is where we notice the biggest change. Instead of showing the user's Exchange details in Personal Information Manager, it just says "The location you have selected does not exist" (the only other option in the dropdown list is "None").

I've got a copy of the log files from that folder zipped up - anywhere you suggest I can upload them to?

• Edited by Steve R5 Thursday, October 24, 2019 10:37 AM
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 10:36 AM
  • Hi Steve R5,

How about go to the office installation location, and launch the "Lync.exe" directly? 

E.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15.

In addition, please have a try to install some office updates to see if it helps.

Thursday, October 24, 2019 1:52 PM
  • I just got the user to run Lync.exe directly from the Office15 folder, but he says it still comes up with Skype Web Access unfortunately.

Couldn't see that there were any Office updates to install - at least there were none to download from our company's SCCM server (of course, assuming this has had all the updates uploaded to it).

Friday, October 25, 2019 11:47 AM
  • Hi Steve R5,

Perhaps, you can attach some important error messages for me.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 10:15 AM
  • Hi Sharon,

Let me know what error messages / log files you'd like want and I'll try to get hold of them from the remote PC for you. I'm guessing the best place to upload them to would be my personal OneDrive account and then share them with you?

Steve.

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 4:20 PM
  • Hi Steve R5,

You could collect the client log. The path is “%LOCALAPPDATA%/Microsoft/Office/15.0/Lync/Tracing”.

First, clear the client log.

Then, log in the App and collect the log.

You can paste it in the text field.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Friday, November 1, 2019 10:11 AM
  • Not sure which is the client log. In that folder I see four files:

1) Lync-15.0.5153.1001-Office-x64ship-U.etl (4MB+ in size, mainly unreadable in Notepad)

2) Lync-AppSharingMediaProvider-0.AppSharingMediaProviderlog (less than 1KB, readable but essentially nothing in it

3) Lync-UccApi-0.UccApilog (2MB in size, readable)

4) UCIMAPI15-15.0.5153.1001-Office-x64ship-U.etl (350KB in size, but completely unreadable)

I'm guessing that file 3 is the one you'd want then, but that's a heck of a lot of text to be pasting in here. And that just covers entries from 11:06:21 to 11:41:10 - we're not talking days worth of log file here.

Monday, November 4, 2019 3:43 PM
  • Hi Steve R5,

You’re right. I just need the Lync-UccApi-0.UccApilog.

In our forum, we can just see the log by pasting it in the text. You should cover the private message before you paste it. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 8:50 AM
  • Okay, cleared out the log files, started Skype, waited for it to log the user in, then closed it straight after. New log file came to about 450KB. Will copy the contents into the next post. Have edited it to change our domain name to "company.com" and the user's SIP address to "user@company.com".

EDIT - Actually no, turns out that won't work. When I try to post the log, the site tells me there is a maximum of 60,000 characters allowed. The logs just for these two minutes are 464,110 characters long. Going to have to think of another way (or split it up into eight separate posts!)

• Edited by Steve R5 Wednesday, November 6, 2019 1:16 PM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2019 1:10 PM
  • Uploaded the file to OneDrive - hopefully this link will work: https://1drv.ms/t/s!Ak8yldJJL_z8iVIiHz05WghcaI-w
    Wednesday, November 6, 2019 3:33 PM
  • Hi Steve R5,

I notice an error message in your log:

11/06/2019|15:04:00.766 1860:1AD4 ERROR ::

CSIPClientConnection::AttachLyntrix no instance of CLyntrixClient

However, I didn’t search any useful information about this error.

Then, I found an article about how to remove Skype for Business Web App Plug-in. Maybe you can have a try.

For more information, please refer to:

https://www.shouldiremoveit.com/Skype-for-Business-Web-App-Plug-in-160224-program.aspx

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Thursday, November 7, 2019 7:36 AM
  • Hi Steve R5,

Is there any update on this case?

Please feel free to drop us a note if there is any update.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Monday, November 11, 2019 9:54 AM
  • Hi Sharon,

Unfortunately no further progress in this case. I checked out the link you provided but the installation folder mentioned does not exist on this user's laptop (nor any similar looking ones) and the uninstaller tells me "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed".

At this point, I'm thinking it might just be easier to rebuild the user's laptop with our default image - that way at least he'll end up with the correct version of Skype.

Steve.

Monday, November 11, 2019 3:01 PM
  • Hi Steve,

I have discussed with my team. Almost no one can believe this phenomenon.

Perhaps, rebuild the user’s Operating System is the best way for now.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Thursday, November 14, 2019 8:53 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Do you have any further issue on this topic?

Meanwhile, if there is no issue, please remember to mark helpful reply as answer to close the thread. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 2:59 AM
  • Here I will provide a brief and temporary summary of this post.

<Issue Symptom>:

User environment: Windows 8.1, Office Professional 2013.

When clicking the Skype for Business icon in Start Menu, it launches Skype Web App instead.

<(Possible) Cause>:

It seems related to configuration error.

<Troubleshooting Steps so far>:

Uninstall and reinstall Office app.

Check the client log files.

<Next Step>:

Rebuild the user’s laptop.

<Reference Links>:

https://www.shouldiremoveit.com/Skype-for-Business-Web-App-Plug-in-160224-program.aspx

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Friday, November 22, 2019 8:47 AM