none
W2K8 Task Scheduler Logs

Question

• Is there a means to export or copy the scheduler history logs? Where are they located?
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Joeb,

There is NOT a .txt or .log file in which task histories are stored. Actually the task histories are stored as events (.evt files) in Event Viewer.

If you open Event Viewer and go to: Event Viewer (Local) / Applications and Services Logs / Microsoft / Windows / TaskScheduler / Optional, you will see all the Task Histories. The .evt files on located under C:\Windows\System32\Winevt\Logs directory. Go figure.

Thanks
    Zhang

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 2:28 AM

All replies

• Is there a means to export or copy the scheduler history logs? Where are they located?

View Task Properties and History

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722006.aspx

How to Import / Export (Backup / Restore) Tasks Using Task Scheduler in Windows?

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-import-export-backup-restore-tasks-using-task-scheduler-in-windows/

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

- .... .- -. -.- ... --..-- ... .- -. - --- ... ....

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:14 PM
  • The "query" command does not show the history of the task. I have several tasks that run and I wanted to bring the history of each into a workbook to do some analysis. But I cannot find the history log or how to get the information out.
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 4:48 PM
  • The "query" command does not show the history of the task. I have several tasks that run and I wanted to bring the history of each into a workbook to do some analysis. But I cannot find the history log or how to get the information out.

Try below command

schtasks /query /FO LIST /V >c:\task_list.txt

Once you run the command, result will be saved in task_list.txt file and you can locate that in root of C drive.

Sample output would look like below

Folder: \
    HostName:                             MyMachineName
    TaskName:                             \GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-1936787107-3011691620-875535689-1000Core
    Next Run Time:                        8/15/2012 6:15:00 PM
    Logon Mode:                           Interactive only
    Last Run Time:                        8/14/2012 6:15:00 PM
    Last Result:                          0
    Author:                               Santosh
    Task To Run:                          C:\Users\IBM_ADMIN\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe /c
    Start In:                             N/A
    Comment:                              Keeps your Google software up to date. If this task is disabled or stopped, your Google software will not be kept up to date, meaning security vulnerabilities that may arise cannot be fixed and features may not work. This task uninstalls itself when the
    Scheduled Task State:                 Enabled
    Idle Time:                            Disabled
    Power Management:                     
    Run As User:                          Santosh
    Delete Task If Not Rescheduled:       Enabled
    Stop Task If Runs X Hours and X Mins: Disabled
    Schedule:                             Scheduling data is not available in this format.
    Schedule Type:                        Daily 
    Start Time:                           6:15:00 PM
    Start Date:                           7/20/2012
    End Date:                             N/A
    Days:                                 Every 1 day(s)
    Months:                               N/A
    Repeat: Every:                        Disabled
    Repeat: Until: Time:                  Disabled
    Repeat: Until: Duration:              Disabled
    Repeat: Stop If Still Running:        Disabled

Hope that helps.

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 5:05 PM
  • I think we are thinking different items. Yes I can redirect the information to a file but it still does not allo me to see what the actual history is. That is when you open the task properties and choose the history tab. That is what i would like to get a copy of.
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 5:21 PM
  • Oh I see. I am not sure how to fetch history. Perhaps, other members might know.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Hi Joeb,

There is NOT a .txt or .log file in which task histories are stored. Actually the task histories are stored as events (.evt files) in Event Viewer.

If you open Event Viewer and go to: Event Viewer (Local) / Applications and Services Logs / Microsoft / Windows / TaskScheduler / Optional, you will see all the Task Histories. The .evt files on located under C:\Windows\System32\Winevt\Logs directory. Go figure.

Thanks
    Zhang

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 2:28 AM