none
The Administrator has made a change

    Question

  • Hi!

    We are running Exchange 2013 together with Outlook 2013.

    After installing Exchange SP1, the following messages appears on all clients:

    "The Exchange admin has made a change that requires you to restart Oulook"

    This appears when starting Outlook, and also at random intervals when Outlook is running. I have tested to recreate a profile on the client, but this doesn't help. And the message did not apear before Exchange 2013 SP1.

    What can I to to make this disapear?

    Regards,

    Lennart

    Sunday, March 23, 2014 7:14 PM

Answers

  • Hi Lennart,

    Is this a pure Exchange 2013 environment or con-existence with Exchange 2010/2007 servers? Did you do any other changes besides the SP1 update?

    Please check in ADSIEdit > Configuration >CN=Services > CN=Microsoft Exchange > CN=your ORG name > CN=Administrative Groups > CN=Exchange Administrative Group > CN=Databases, please check the attribute “MSEXCHHomePublicMDB” of your databases, if they are pointing towards the deleted Objects, please delete the entries.

    You can also check the RPC Client Access logs (Exchange Server\V15\Logging\RPC Client Access) to find if any errors happened.

    Best Regards,

    Tracy Liang

     

    • Marked as answer by Lennart Bauer Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:51 AM
    Tuesday, March 25, 2014 9:19 AM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Did you enable MAPI/HTTP and is Outlook 2013 at SP1 as well?

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn635177(v=exchg.150).aspx


    Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

    Sunday, March 23, 2014 8:08 PM
  • Hi,

    Do you use DAG? Check the application log on the Backend servers and see whether there are any error report about this issue.

    Thanks,

    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com


    Simon Wu
    TechNet Community Support

    Monday, March 24, 2014 8:23 AM
    Moderator
  • No, MAPI over HTTP is not enabled and we are running Outlook 2013 SP1.

    Monday, March 24, 2014 8:48 AM
  • No, not using DAG..
    Monday, March 24, 2014 8:49 AM
  • Hi Lennart,

    Is this a pure Exchange 2013 environment or con-existence with Exchange 2010/2007 servers? Did you do any other changes besides the SP1 update?

    Please check in ADSIEdit > Configuration >CN=Services > CN=Microsoft Exchange > CN=your ORG name > CN=Administrative Groups > CN=Exchange Administrative Group > CN=Databases, please check the attribute “MSEXCHHomePublicMDB” of your databases, if they are pointing towards the deleted Objects, please delete the entries.

    You can also check the RPC Client Access logs (Exchange Server\V15\Logging\RPC Client Access) to find if any errors happened.

    Best Regards,

    Tracy Liang

     

    • Marked as answer by Lennart Bauer Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:51 AM
    Tuesday, March 25, 2014 9:19 AM
    Moderator
  • Problem solved!.

    Thanks for the suggestions. It was en entry in the MSEXCHHomePublicMDB that was wrong.

    I deleted it and since then Everything has been working.

    Thanks again for all the help!

    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:50 AM
  • thanks! I had a rogue public folder that wasn't around anymore on a server long gone :)
    Saturday, May 10, 2014 6:20 PM
  • Tracy,

    We are seeing this issue as well.. One of our databases did not have the setting you list. As a test we moved a couple mailboxes to it, and the problem went away. So, my question.. Does the value need to be deleted totally or just cleared? I want to make sure I perform the correct process.

    thanks!

    -Charlie

    Wednesday, May 14, 2014 5:24 PM
  • Thanks Tracy!  I also had the symptom of users repeatedly getting the message "The Microsoft Exchange administrator has made a change that requires you quit and restart Outlook" and had to clear the "MSEXCHHomePublicMDB" attribute after migrating from Exchange 2007 to 2013 and removing the public folder database in the process.
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 2:04 AM
  • Works PERFECT. Thanks a Ton Tracy.
    Wednesday, October 08, 2014 9:15 AM
  • Nice

    this part worked --- MSEXCHHomePublicMDB

    Thanks

    pS --  Not for sure,  but our Exchange 2013 servers went to about 99% CPU for several hours after the e2007 pub folders were deleted and we had to restart the e2013 servers to make them happy.

    It is possible this high CPU was associated with the Public Folder "delete".

    tags -- Exchange 2013, e2013, Public Folders, Outlook 2013, home,

    ===

    Thursday, January 29, 2015 12:08 AM