none
Excel 2016 crashes RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Excel 2016 on my work computer and we have a shared file that my boss and I have created. Yesterday, the macro was working fine and you could open it and make changes to it but since then if you try to open the macro it crashes excel. I can open macros and edit them on all other excel files. A list of problems that crashes the program: ALT + F8, View -> Macros, UserForm, Class Module, Tools-> Module, Developer -> Macros, Insert -> Module. I can only open and edit the macro if I use ALT + F11 or use Developer -> Visual Basic. I have tried to go into the developer -> Macro Security then disable all macros with notification, disable trust locations, and disable trust documents even on a separate workbook and that didn't change anything. 
    Thursday, May 23, 2019 7:08 PM

All replies

• I have also tried to recompile the macro and that doesn't work either. I have also tried to add a new sheet to the existing workbook and save the file and that also crashes the program
    Thursday, May 23, 2019 7:17 PM
  • Hi,

What’s your Office 2016 version number? I want to confirm to you again whether this problem only occurs in one Excel file? Are you opening the Excel file on your local computer or open it elsewhere?

Do you mind sending the workbook to us for testing?

You can send the Excel workbook to the GBSD TN Office Information Collection: ibsofc@microsoft.com. Please involve the thread URL in the email message for easy follow-up.

Please remember to remove all your personal information like email address or company information before posting.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Bella Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Friday, May 24, 2019 9:15 AM
  • I sent an email to the address provided

Friday, May 24, 2019 12:56 PM
  • Hi,

I’m sorry for my delay reply. We have tested the Excel Workbook you sent to us, and we can open the macro successful.

We tested this excel workbook in the same office version as you.

By operation: ALT + F8, View -> Macros, Developer -> Macros, we can open the macro and run the macro:

So we recommended that you can test this Excel workbook with macros in other computers to see if it works.

If you find on the other computer that the excel workbook does not crash, then there may be a problem with this Excel file.

It is recommended that you change the extension of the excel workbook, such as saving the file from “xlsx” to “xlsm”, or changing the extension "xlsx" to "xls".

You said that you can use ALT+F11 or Developer > Visual Basic to open the VBA code. You can create a new Excel Workbook, then copy the code into the new Excel Workbook and try to open the macro.

If it still doesn't work, try to fix the office: Open Control Panel > Apps and Features > Office > Change > Repair.

If the problem persists, feel free to post back.

Regards,

Bella Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 7:32 AM
  • Hi,

How is everything going on with this issue?

Hope my clarification is clear. Please feel free to post back if you need further assistance on this issue.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. And if you need further assistance on this, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Bella Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019. 

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 9:34 AM