none
Set Information Manager in Skype for Business to IBM Notes RRS feed

• Question

• We are in the process of rolling out Skye for Business in my company.

The challenge I'm having is that Skype for Business insists on opening Outlook for just about everything. We are not running Outlook in our company, and we have thus far no plans to do so.

This makes us lose the following functionality:

- Adding contacts to your own groups in the Skype client

- Conversation History

- Automatically status changes when you are in a meeting

I've tried to install Outlook on my PC to test, and what this lead to was that it just messed up my default settings. Outlook was set to be the default mail client every time I did something in the Skype client that triggered Outlook. So the next time I started IBM Notes, it would tell me it was no longer the standard client.

In Skype for Business there is a setting called Personal Information Manager. This can only be set to Outlook or None.

Is there any way this can be set to IBM Notes? I know that in Lync 2010 you could actually get IBM Notes and Lync to cooperate like this. Seems like there's no possibility for this in Skype for Business.

Or is there a setting on the server that I've missed?

Sunday, September 27, 2015 8:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Skype for Business, just like Lync 2013 or Lync 2010, relies on Exchange for several productivity features like the ones you mentioned above.

Integration with notes or sametime was a feature that was carried along from OCS, but requires you to make changes with the API.

- Contacts is the S4B client should be added regardless of Exchange integration. They're saves in the users' data in the CMS.

- Conversation History is saved in Exchange using Outlook's MAPI or Exchange's EWS. If conversation history is critical for your organization you cam archive the IMs using the archiving role.

- S4B, just like Lync, will retrieve the user's availability from EWS or Outlook and will change its presence.

There's a 3rd party company that Tom Rimala mentioned in his blog here, see if that works for you. 

Monday, September 28, 2015 10:16 AM
  • Hi, Yoav.

Thanks for your reply.

You wrote:"Contacts is the S4B client should be added regardless of Exchange integration. They're saves in the users' data in the CMS"

Where is this CMS? If I turn off Microsoft Outlook in the Personal Information Manager, I'm not allowed to add contacts manually. I'm able to add contacts that is found in my company or from the Skype directory

"If conversation history is critical for your organization you cam archive the IMs using the archiving role."

How do I use the archiving role and how can I save conversation history without using Outlook?

"There's a 3rd party company that Tom Rimala mentioned if that works for you."

I've already checked, and they were not able to help me with this, unless I was ready to pay for a lot of development.

• Edited by elfworld Wednesday, September 30, 2015 2:31 PM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 2:31 PM
  • Hi Elfworld,

The CMS is the Central Management Store that stores all S4B's data. It's installed when you install the first front-end server. All users' contacts are stored there, it's what allows you to see your contacts from any device you're signed in to.
    Needless to say, the S4B client is not a contact manager; it can only store S4B contacts and data. This means that if you need to add non-S4B contacts or data (Add a contact you're dialling to, etc.), you will have to use Exchange and Outlook... That being said, if the purpose of S4B is to replace Sametime, I recommend updating your AD with all the relevant data for users. This will then show up on the clients and users can save the S4B contacts and arrange them as they see fit.

Archiving is a role in S4B that allows you to archive and store the users' IM contents in a dedicated SQL database (It can also use Exchange but we know this isn't an option here). Further information is available here.

Last, unfortunately, I can't really help you with the third issue... :)

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 3:21 PM