doubt about parent partition RRS feed

• Question

• I've read the Hyper V faqs and it is with the following one that i'm a little confused:
    Does Microsoft Hyper-V Server use a parent partition like Windows Server 2008 with the Hyper-V role enabled?

A.   

Yes. Microsoft Hyper-V Server shares some things in common with Windows Server 2008 with the Hyper-V role enabled including a common kernel and drivers.

In a Windows Server 2008 Full Install the Parent Partition will be the Windows Server 2008 installation right? and all the VM that i create will be the child partition, but what happens in an Hyper V or in a Core Installation w/HyperV? is the Windows Server 2008 my parent partition again besides there is no GUI? or in HyperV the first Virtual Machine that i create in the Server becomes my parent partition? this isn't too clear for me and im confused about how much memory i will asign to my Virtual machines:

I got this from a webcast:

Memory assignment: 300MB Hypervisor ; 32MB for each VM - 8MB for each 1GB of RAM in each VM - 512MB ParentPartition

In an Hyper-V Server (bare metal install) installation wich will be the parentPartition ? is a windows server 2008 core install that comes with the hyperV ? or is the first VM created and then i need to assign an extra 512MB RAM for this one?

I'm about to use a Server with 6GB RAM as a host server for virtualization,  i'm going to create 3VM with 1GB each one and another with 2GB, so there is a total of 5GB an 1GB left for the parent partition, but i'm not to sure about this parent partition. all i see is 4 VM (GUI) and the HyperV(bare metal) installation, this last one is the HyperVisor right ? is the HyperVisor and the parent partition the same thing ?

Sorry if looks a little confusing...

Friday, June 26, 2009 8:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First of all, I would like to let you know, Hyper-V Server 2008 is a simplified version based on Windows Server 2008 Core Edition. Except the GUI and some components, Windows 2008 Server Core Edition(with Hyper-V installation) is the same with Windows Server 2008 full installation(with Hyper-V installation) , the Windows Server 2008 installation will become the Parent Partition. So the Hyper-V Server 2008 itself will become the Parent Partition.

In your environment, you assign 5GB memory to the 4 VMs, the rest of 1GB will keep for the Parent Partition.

In addition, I also include some information about Parent Partition and Hypervisor, you can refer to:

Parent Partition(Also called Root Partition): manages resources for a set of child partitions

Hypervisor is a virtualization platform that allows multiple operating systems to execute on a single host computer. Its primary job is to provide isolated execution environments and to control access to the underlying hardware resources.

Best regards,

Vincent Hu

• Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Friday, July 3, 2009 10:04 AM
    Friday, June 26, 2009 9:34 AM
  • I addition to what Vincent wrote:

The memory assignment you are talking about here, is actually your server-memory-sizing.
    Let's take your example: 3 VM's with 1GB each, 1 VM with 2 GB.

Your calculation would look as follows:
    VM1:
    1GB RAM
    1x 32Mb RAM
    8MB for video

VM2:
    1 GB RAM
    1x 32Mb RAM
    8MB for video

VM3:
    1 GB RAM
    1x 32Mb RAM
    8MB for video

VM4 (2GB RAM in VM):
    2GB RAM
    2x 32Mb RAM
    8MB for video

Parent:
    512MB

(I've never heard of the 300MB Hypervisor requirement, so I'm leaving it out right now)
    This means that your Hyper-V server should have a minimum amout of 5824MB RAM. So you would be safe when your server has 6GB of RAM.
    Don't worry about the parent parition, this is automatically created when you enable the Hyper-V role (also on Hyper-V Server).

Hope this clears some things for your.

kind regards,
    Floris van der Ploeg
    Friday, June 26, 2009 10:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First of all, I would like to let you know, Hyper-V Server 2008 is a simplified version based on Windows Server 2008 Core Edition. Except the GUI and some components, Windows 2008 Server Core Edition(with Hyper-V installation) is the same with Windows Server 2008 full installation(with Hyper-V installation) , the Windows Server 2008 installation will become the Parent Partition. So the Hyper-V Server 2008 itself will become the Parent Partition.

In your environment, you assign 5GB memory to the 4 VMs, the rest of 1GB will keep for the Parent Partition.

In addition, I also include some information about Parent Partition and Hypervisor, you can refer to:

Parent Partition(Also called Root Partition): manages resources for a set of child partitions

Hypervisor is a virtualization platform that allows multiple operating systems to execute on a single host computer. Its primary job is to provide isolated execution environments and to control access to the underlying hardware resources.

Best regards,

Vincent Hu

Friday, June 26, 2009 9:34 AM
  • I addition to what Vincent wrote:

The memory assignment you are talking about here, is actually your server-memory-sizing.
    Let's take your example: 3 VM's with 1GB each, 1 VM with 2 GB.

Your calculation would look as follows:
    VM1:
    1GB RAM
    1x 32Mb RAM
    8MB for video

VM2:
    1 GB RAM
    1x 32Mb RAM
    8MB for video

VM3:
    1 GB RAM
    1x 32Mb RAM
    8MB for video

VM4 (2GB RAM in VM):
    2GB RAM
    2x 32Mb RAM
    8MB for video

Parent:
    512MB

(I've never heard of the 300MB Hypervisor requirement, so I'm leaving it out right now)
    This means that your Hyper-V server should have a minimum amout of 5824MB RAM. So you would be safe when your server has 6GB of RAM.
    Don't worry about the parent parition, this is automatically created when you enable the Hyper-V role (also on Hyper-V Server).

Hope this clears some things for your.

kind regards,
    Floris van der Ploeg
    Friday, June 26, 2009 10:40 AM