Microphone required to join video conference? RRS feed

• Question

• We have Lync 2013 servers with mostly Lync 2010 clients.  We have a scenario where one internal presenter starts an audio/video conference, and all other internal attendees are simply observers (no need to send audio or video).  However, it seems that no one can join a meeting with audio/video unless they have an audio device connected, specifically a microphone.  We've tried joining with speakers connected, but only a microphone allows successful joining.

Is there some way to avoid the microphone requirement?  Almost none of our users have microphone devices, so if they can't attend audio/video conferences then the feature is essentially off-limits for us.  I'm probably missing a setting for this somewhere, but can't seem to find what that might be.  Any help is appreciated.

Friday, October 18, 2013 12:02 AM

Answers

• Well, believe it or not, but this is true. I also found out this hard way - by getting reports from unhappy clients. In order to participate in audio/video conference client must have audio device available. Furthermore, even if you have sounds card with speakers (and most computers today have built-in speaker) and microphone input, this is not enough. You MUST have microphone (also known as Recording Device) available and enabled.

You see, when you have user enabled for Enterprise voice and you give them Lync phone (e.g. HP 4120 or Polycom CX600) this is no longer issue - usually phone is connected to PC via USB cable (remember - better together?) and extra speakers and Microsoft are available automatically, so you may not even notice why this user can join Audio/Video conference.

At the same time if your user is Laptop or Tablet user, again all tablets and Laptops are usually have microphone and speakers built-in, so again user won't have issue to join audio/audio meeting. But when your user is desktop user with no microphone explicitly plugged in, and there is no any kind USB headset/handset connected, you will be in trouble.

Is that something good? I think not. But hey, what can we do? We do not write Lync client code, and it is up to Microsoft to decide what requirements are. Potential workaround? Get $1 microphones from eBay and plug-in to any computer that needs to participate in audio/video conference. This is what I do when I need this.

Thanks!

• Marked as answer by Swipter Monday, October 21, 2013 8:03 PM
    Monday, October 21, 2013 2:50 PM

All replies

• Thanks, I've now read through that thread, however it seems to imply that this is expected behaviour for Lync 2013. We've tried creating meetings with the "Do not join audio" option selected, as well as joining with the "Call in separately" option, but neither seems to help. Without a microphone connected, I can join a conference that has video, and I can IM with other participants, but I cannot view the video content. The instant I connect a microphone and rejoin, I can see the video stream. The same is true of both the Lync 2010 thick client and the Web App. I find it hard to believe that it's supposed to work this way, since a microphone should not be necessary to view video.
    Friday, October 18, 2013 9:06 PM
  • Well, believe it or not, but this is true. I also found out this hard way - by getting reports from unhappy clients. In order to participate in audio/video conference client must have audio device available. Furthermore, even if you have sounds card with speakers (and most computers today have built-in speaker) and microphone input, this is not enough. You MUST have microphone (also known as Recording Device) available and enabled.

You see, when you have user enabled for Enterprise voice and you give them Lync phone (e.g. HP 4120 or Polycom CX600) this is no longer issue - usually phone is connected to PC via USB cable (remember - better together?) and extra speakers and Microsoft are available automatically, so you may not even notice why this user can join Audio/Video conference.

At the same time if your user is Laptop or Tablet user, again all tablets and Laptops are usually have microphone and speakers built-in, so again user won't have issue to join audio/audio meeting. But when your user is desktop user with no microphone explicitly plugged in, and there is no any kind USB headset/handset connected, you will be in trouble.

Is that something good? I think not. But hey, what can we do? We do not write Lync client code, and it is up to Microsoft to decide what requirements are. Potential workaround? Get $1 microphones from eBay and plug-in to any computer that needs to participate in audio/video conference. This is what I do when I need this.

Thanks!

• Marked as answer by Swipter Monday, October 21, 2013 8:03 PM
    Monday, October 21, 2013 2:50 PM