none
Edge, disable first run RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone figured out how to disable Microsoft Edge first run for new users yet?  Just setting IE10TourShown in the default user hive isn't enough.  I'm surprised there isn't a policy for it.

Friday, February 26, 2016 6:40 PM

All replies

• Has anyone figured out how to disable Microsoft Edge first run for new users yet?  Just setting IE10TourShown in the default user hive isn't enough.  I'm surprised there isn't a policy for it.

A few notes:

1. Officially, no.  I have been talking to a few Edge developers and hoping they can get a Group Policy implemented.

2. The way apps work isn't like Win32 apps work, in that the settings for apps are not created until the app is run once.  So, you can't (easily) set settings before the apps run.  This includes Edge.  This is the reason why setting the default hive isn't effective for Edge, since the settings get overwritten on first run.

3. This is an unofficial way to do it, but it's so complicated (and prone to breaking in newer Windows 10 builds) that I wouldn't honestly recommend it:

http://hinchley.net/2016/01/31/disable-microsoft-edge-first-run-welcome-page-for-new-users/

Friday, February 26, 2016 7:00 PM
  • This is the same result as that blog (EDIT: not really), but it hasn't worked for me.

reg load HKU\DefaultUser c:\users\default\ntuser.dat
    reg add "HKU\DefaultUser\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\Main" /f /v IE10TourShown /t reg_dword /d 1
    reg unload HKU\DefaultUser

I tried IE10TourShownTime as well.  

• Edited by JS2010 Friday, February 26, 2016 8:59 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2016 7:32 PM
  • Actually, it's disturbing that you can't easily set defaults for apps in the registry.

• Edited by JS2010 Friday, February 26, 2016 9:01 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2016 9:00 PM
  • Hi,

Under an existed user account, export the following key after first running Microsoft Edge:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge

And then import this registry key into all other new user account as the first logon script. The welcome screen will not occur.

This thread also could be as a reference:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/f1c9122c-ee36-40cd-92a1-e273073a780c/microsft-edge-welcome-screen-disable?forum=win10itprosetup

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 29, 2016 6:57 AM
  • There's no way to import it into one of the Default User's hives?  

Btw, I have found you only need IE10TourShown and IE10TourShownTime.

• Edited by JS2010 Monday, February 29, 2016 12:28 PM
    Monday, February 29, 2016 12:28 PM

Btw, I have found you only need IE10TourShown and IE10TourShownTime.

You could push it as a logon script via the group policy. So that it would apply to everyone user account include the new created.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 3, 2016 8:01 AM

As I already said, the default hive generally no longer matters with UWP apps because they create settings on first launch.
    Saturday, March 5, 2016 5:25 PM
  • Have someone managed to find a solution for it?
    I don't really understand what causes Microsoft Edge to be starting automatically when new user login for the first time

Thursday, October 25, 2018 10:38 AM
  • I'm not talking about it starting automatically.  I'm just talking about it displaying a "first run" page, the first time a user runs Edge.

Thursday, October 25, 2018 12:04 PM
  • this will disable Edge from showing up FirstRunPage again

open notepad save the text editor below remeber to change to change to all files and save as .reg and now you can import this where you need it

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Main]
    "PreventFirstRunPage"=dword:00000001

this will disable Edge from showing up FirstRunPage again

• Edited by Christopher_0871 Sunday, June 16, 2019 2:52 PM alway looking for Optimization for windows
    Sunday, June 16, 2019 2:49 PM