issue with federated partner RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

got an issue with federated partner, both of  us are SFB 2015 on premise environments.

issue started a week again with no changes done from ourside and allegedly them as well.

we can reach them normally through IM and presence is seen, but they cant reach us back, nor can they initiate IM.

we are using a closed federation, and they are already added to our allowed list.

tested federation from our side as well and it works successfully,

but for them to it gives the below error :

==Q==

Target Fqdn   :

Result        : Failure

Latency       : 00:00:00

Error Message : 504, Server time-out

Diagnosis     : ErrorCode=1030,Source=#####,Reason=The destination in the edge route did not m

atch any configured server and cannot be used for Request URI routing.,destination=#####

=UNQ=

I have made sure of their certificates at our side as well, telneting to their edges over 443 and 5061 is ok as well.

any help what the issue could be and what else could be checked?

P.S we do not have any issues with any other federated partner.

Saturday, March 14, 2020 11:26 AM

Answers

• Hello Jimmy,

thanks for your diligence, issue has been resolved from the federated partner side.

it seems that that there was issue with the routing itself in their NW layer, traceroutes from their side has done the job.

Bregards

• Marked as answer by Doody88 Wednesday, April 1, 2020 8:46 AM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2020 8:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Doody88!

Please make sure if you have enabled federation and public IM connectivity in your Skype for Business Server. You can run the command “Set-CsAccessEdgeConfiguration -AllowFederatedUsers $True” to enable federation and public IM connectivity. For more details, you can refer to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/manage/federation-and-external-access/access-edge/enable-or-disable-federation-and-public-im-connectivity#to-enable-or-disable-federated-user-access-for-your-organization

Also, you can try to check your federated partner DNS configuration and the Global or Custom policies in your Server. The following picture shows internal and external DNS configuration for your reference:

For more details about how to check the global and custom Policies, please refer to:

http://www.garethjones294.com/troubleshooting-federation-on-skype-for-business-lync-server-edge/

Besides, you can check if there are any error event logs in your federated partner edge server.

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.
    Monday, March 16, 2020 5:43 AM
  • thanks for your reply.

yes I have checked federation, its ok.

internal and external DNS records all are ok as well.

what do you mean by  Global or Custom policies on the server?

I have tested all tests (except step 2) in the 2nd article and all is ok, how to check that?

also another thing when, the proxy fqdn for the federated partner is the same that appears in the NSLookup svr hostname, however they advise that they have changed this name.

P.S testing Federation from ourside is successful ( I only add the domain and targetfqdn, I dont add proxyfqdn)

Monday, March 16, 2020 6:51 PM
  • Hi Doody88!

Sorry for reply you too late!

The Global or custom policies in my first reply just means step 5’s external access policy setting. By default, you must configure one or more policies, specifying the type of external user access for each policy. For more details, you can refer to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/manage/federation-and-external-access/managing-federation-and-external-access

According to your error message, it seems this issue happened on your federated partner federation settings.

Please let me know if your federated partner can federation with another organization well(except your own organization)?

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 19, 2020 10:33 AM
  • Hi,
    Is there any update on this case?
    Please feel free to drop us a note if there is any update.
    Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 24, 2020 9:58 AM
  • Hello Jimmy,

thanks for your diligence, issue has been resolved from the federated partner side.

it seems that that there was issue with the routing itself in their NW layer, traceroutes from their side has done the job.

Bregards

• Marked as answer by Doody88 Wednesday, April 1, 2020 8:46 AM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2020 8:46 AM