none
Some DHCP reservations not creating A or PTR records in DNS RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy,

I'm having an issue where DHCP does not update DNS for certain devices.  Now, I may not have a full grasp on how a DHCP reservation should work, but please bear with me.  I have several network-enabled temperature monitors that support DHCP.  I'd like to create a DHCP reservation for each device, and have the DHCP server create/update the DNS records (A and PTR).  However, I can't get DHCP to update DNS at all (i.e. no records are created).

The DHCP server is not a DC (Server 2008 R2), and is configured with DNS dynamic update registration credentials.  The AD account used for dynamic updates is a member of the DnsUpdateProxy security group, along with the DHCP server.  The scope is DDNS enabled, and configured to always update DNS records, discard records when lease is deleted, and to update records for DHCP clients that do not request updates.

The DNS server is a DC (Server 2008).  The zones are AD-integrated, and configured for secure dynamic updates only.

DNS records are created/updated just fine TrendNet print server, but not for these network-enabled temperature monitors (WatchDog 15).  Looking at the DHCP log, I see the temp monitors renew their IP addresses, but do no DNS update requests follow.

One thing I noticed is that the temp monitors don't have a name listed, when looking at the leases, but I assume a reservation, where a FQDN is provided by me, would be enough to not be a problem.  The compliant TrendNet print servers, do have a name for their leases, even before creating a reservation.

How can I get the DHCP server to create A and PTR records for the temp monitors?  Is it even possible for these types of devices?  Thanks in advance for any pointers/help.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

On a PC, if IP address is assigned by DHCP, then DNS record will be registered by DHCP server. And if you have some IPs reserved for some specified computers, you will have to assign IP manually and check the option “Register the Connection’s addresses in DNS”.

In addition, you can manually create A and PTR records in DNS.

After all, I’m not quite familiar with their product, so I’m not sure how it works on network layer. Maybe you can post in their forum.

Thank you.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 8:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

On a PC, if IP address is assigned by DHCP, then DNS record will be registered by DHCP server. And if you have some IPs reserved for some specified computers, you will have to assign IP manually and check the option “Register the Connection’s addresses in DNS”.

In addition, you can manually create A and PTR records in DNS.

After all, I’m not quite familiar with their product, so I’m not sure how it works on network layer. Maybe you can post in their forum.

Thank you.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 8:52 AM
  • Years later I am seeing the same.

Client with both wireless & wired interfaces (wireless disabled)

DHCP reservation on WIRED interface, client set to DHCP, secure updating with configured credentials, GPO DNS updates disabled (so client does not get unnecessary failure in event log)

This client's A/PTR records are not created

If I disable wired interface & enable wireless, record gets created perfectly fine

So it is something definitely with Reservation

But what?

Any log on DNS/DHCP server that could shed some light as to what is happening with "non" creation of this A record?

Seb

• Edited by scerazy Tuesday, June 25, 2019 7:37 AM
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 7:30 AM