none
random restrts and bsod's

Question

• Ok so I did a build on a budget and didn.t get bad hardware just not the best. LOTS of problems such as my mobo (ECS KN3-SLI2) drivers arent compatible and when the updater tries to install the update to the raid drivers I get bsod, sometime while playing games I get bsod...sometimes whatching movie bsod.. you get the idea. But its never the same error message .....ever... I keep track. And its new favorite trick is the magic restart it skips the bsod and just restarts like I hit the restart button...pretty cool huh? Heres my full layout

MOBO: KN3-SLI2
    RAM: 4 GB G-SKILL
    PROCESSOR: AMD Athlon Dual Core X2 4600
    GPU: 8800 GTS
    PSS: 600W
    HDD: Samsung 500gb SATA2

pLZ HELP

**something else too- even though I tell it not to automatically restart in event of system failure it does. weird

MEM test was fine did that before and another since posting Theres a known issue with the sound card driver for the onboard audio (they just messed that one up) but I already downloaded the fix for that. Also the bsod's are ALWAYS different thats whats so annoying sometimes memory sometimes driver issue sometimes there is no error message and sometimes just restart without any bsod at all..
    Also got the weirdest bsod ever the error message was at the bottom instead of top and said ecache.exe version-xxxxxx, build-xxxxxx (x= a number) anyone ever seen that before?

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 5:08 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Generally, a BSOD or auto-restarting issue is a kernel mode crash issue. It occurs when a driver tried to access an address that is pageable (or that is completely invalid) while the IRQL was too high.

To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

I hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thank you for your time and cooperation!

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 3:03 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Generally, a BSOD or auto-restarting issue is a kernel mode crash issue. It occurs when a driver tried to access an address that is pageable (or that is completely invalid) while the IRQL was too high.

To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

I hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thank you for your time and cooperation!

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 3:03 AM
  • I have 2 things I can't try that may fix it if you guys can figure out a way for me to do it. I cant install amd dual core optimizers or even the drivers because they dont make them for vista 64 (but they do for xp 64 makes sense right?) I also cant flash my bios because you can't disable driver signing on a kernal driver so as far as I can tell there will never be a winflash utility for vista 64. which doesn't make sense to me but whatever. any ideas?

*could it be firefox? I use firefox 3 beta 5. but I don't think there is anything in firefox to cause that.
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 5:46 PM
  •  Tim Quan - MSFT wrote:

Hi,

Tim Quan - MSFT

There is no system dump because it either just restarts with no warning or shutdown (like pushing the retsart button) or it has a bsod but never actually dumps the files it just freezes on the preparing to dump. So this wont work
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 6:29 AM