none
Hi RRS feed

• Question

• I have some confusion. I have Virtual setup for Lync Server 2010 . now I want to add edge server for external user. my questions are:-

1. Should we install Edge server on physical machine or virtual machine.

2. External NIC should be wired connected to switch or not ?

3. if edge server is installed on virtual machine then what would be the external NICs configuration and how it will be connected to AD and Lync Server.

4. can any one please provide steps to add certificate to edge server.

I had tried to configure but i am stuck on assign the certificate to edge server. 

Thanks 

Ravikant Chaturvedi

• Changed type Kent-Huang Thursday, May 31, 2012 9:17 AM
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 2:56 PM

Answers

• Hello-Answers Inline

1. Should we install Edge server on physical machine or virtual machine.Virtual works just fine.  Do make sure it meets the minimum requirements and by MS documentation should be scaled at 50%.  No worries unless you are over 5k.

2. External NIC should be wired connected to switch or not ? Not exactly sure what you are asking.  Of course the external adaptor should connect to the switch.  In our configuration there are 4 adaptors on the server.  We only use two for the Lync edge. One physical adaptor sits on the dmz vlan while another adaptor sits on the internal vlan.

3. if edge server is installed on virtual machine then what would be the external NICs configuration and how it will be connected to AD and Lync Server. I believe the answer for question two answers most of this question but a security clarification:  The edge should not be a domain member, it should be in a workgroup.

4. can any one please provide steps to add certificate to edge server. Can you give more detail?  The cert wizard is pretty simple.  You should make sure the certificate has the private key.  The most common cause for this is making the request on one computer and then installing the certificate on a different computer and exporting it.  If the certificates are not showing up in the MMC this is most likely the issue.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” if this resolved the issue.

• Marked as answer by Kent-Huang Thursday, May 31, 2012 10:00 AM
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 3:25 PM
  • Hi,

I assume you are using hyper-v, here are steps to deploy Edge Server.

1. Provision New Windows Server in Hyper-v. (Change the computer name and add primary DNS suffix of this computer, leave the server in the default workgroup, add DNS SRV, A record)

2. Configure a new Network as DMZ on Virtual Network Manager.

3. Add another Network Adapter on Edge.

For details about how to configure network adapter on Hyper-V, you can post the question on Hyper-V forum directly.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/threads

4. Assign the static IP address to the first network adapter(edge internal interface) and the second network adapter (edge external interface) you just added.

For example:

internal interface: 192.168.1.X

external interface: 172.16.1.10

For details about Set Up Network Interfaces for Edge Servers:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg412847.aspx

5. Configure Edge topology in Topology Builder.

6. Export the topology from FE and import it to Edge, install CMS and Lync Server Components.

7. Set up Edge certificates.

8. Complete Edge configuration in Lync Control Panel.

Here is a great deployment about Edge Server:

http://ocsguy.com/2010/11/21/deploying-an-edge-server-with-lync/

Regards,

Kent

Thursday, May 31, 2012 9:58 AM

All replies

• Hello-Answers Inline

1. Should we install Edge server on physical machine or virtual machine.Virtual works just fine.  Do make sure it meets the minimum requirements and by MS documentation should be scaled at 50%.  No worries unless you are over 5k.

2. External NIC should be wired connected to switch or not ? Not exactly sure what you are asking.  Of course the external adaptor should connect to the switch.  In our configuration there are 4 adaptors on the server.  We only use two for the Lync edge. One physical adaptor sits on the dmz vlan while another adaptor sits on the internal vlan.

3. if edge server is installed on virtual machine then what would be the external NICs configuration and how it will be connected to AD and Lync Server. I believe the answer for question two answers most of this question but a security clarification:  The edge should not be a domain member, it should be in a workgroup.

4. can any one please provide steps to add certificate to edge server. Can you give more detail?  The cert wizard is pretty simple.  You should make sure the certificate has the private key.  The most common cause for this is making the request on one computer and then installing the certificate on a different computer and exporting it.  If the certificates are not showing up in the MMC this is most likely the issue.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” if this resolved the issue.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 3:25 PM
  • hi Jay,

thanks for your quick reply .... !!

can you provide exact steps to Edge server network configuration For Virtual Machine. I am not able to understand where should I configure Three static IP address on External Perimeter network(Is this on Physical machine or virtual machine.)

Please provide me my any well details to configure Edge server It's very helpful for me. 

Thanks 

Ravikant Chaturvedi

Thanks Ravikant Chaturvedi

Friday, May 18, 2012 6:49 AM
  • Hi,

I assume you are using hyper-v, here are steps to deploy Edge Server.

1. Provision New Windows Server in Hyper-v. (Change the computer name and add primary DNS suffix of this computer, leave the server in the default workgroup, add DNS SRV, A record)

2. Configure a new Network as DMZ on Virtual Network Manager.

3. Add another Network Adapter on Edge.

For details about how to configure network adapter on Hyper-V, you can post the question on Hyper-V forum directly.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/threads

4. Assign the static IP address to the first network adapter(edge internal interface) and the second network adapter (edge external interface) you just added.

For example:

For details about Set Up Network Interfaces for Edge Servers:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg412847.aspx

5. Configure Edge topology in Topology Builder.

6. Export the topology from FE and import it to Edge, install CMS and Lync Server Components.

7. Set up Edge certificates.

8. Complete Edge configuration in Lync Control Panel.

Here is a great deployment about Edge Server:

http://ocsguy.com/2010/11/21/deploying-an-edge-server-with-lync/

Regards,

Kent

Thursday, May 31, 2012 9:58 AM
  • Hi Kent,

Thank You for your Reply.

Yes , I am using Hyper-v machine.

my questions are :- 1.)  For External Interface IP's are should be public IP address or Internal Ip Address.?

because my currently settings are as below:-

external interface: 192.168.6.X

192.168.6.XX

192.168.6.XXX

2.)My second question is :- I have one internal DNS Zone pmts.local and for external user access I have one public domain Suppose Yahoo.com. So my question is :- on the Edge Server we need to configure DNS role and in the forward look zone we need to create a primary zone as Yahoo.com and make the entry in A for sip, webconf and A/v .

please correct me.....

Regards:-

Ravikant Chaturvedi

Thanks Ravikant Chaturvedi

Monday, June 4, 2012 9:32 AM