none
How to prevent Windows 7 install update when computer shuts down? RRS feed

• Question

• Windows XP usually tells us there is update to install and let us choose whether to proceed when we shut down the computer.  Does Windows 7 provide such option?  I often get held up unexpectedly by the Windows Update after I shut down the computer and it goes straight to install update when I don't have the time to hang around.  I always like to unplug the power of the computer after I shut down the system before I leave.

It is also very annoying  and inconvenient sometimes that the Windows Update starts when I turn on the computer.  Can we sometimes delay it?  What if I simply shut down the computer when the Windows is in the process of doing update?  Will it resume when the computer re-starts?

Friday, March 29, 2013 10:11 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can try the following method to shut down the computer:

1. Windows 7 Shutdown Dialog

1. Make sure either your desktop or taskbar is in focus. Clicking on the desktop background or on an empty part of the taskbar is enough. Alternatively, the keyboard shortcut Windows + D will work.

2. Press Alt + F4.

3. You should now have this box:

2. Windows 7 Security Screen

1. Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to get to the security screen.

2. Click the arrow next to the shutdown button.

3. You should see this context menu:

Hope this help

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by healee Tuesday, April 2, 2013 8:57 AM
    Monday, April 1, 2013 5:43 AM

All replies

• Set Windows Update on the machine to only notify when there are updates  available, and then you can control when updates are done on your machine.

It means you have to do the updates manually yourself. You have the control. If you do them manually, then you know the reboot is coming after you  have completed the updates you did yourself.

Friday, March 29, 2013 10:35 AM
  • Hi Healee,

Click the start button

Then select Control Panel

Next select Windows Update (May have to click "System and Security")

Then select "Change Settings" on the left and choose the best settings for your needs.

Thanks.

Friday, March 29, 2013 11:29 AM
  • Thanks guys!

I like to install updates automatically and that is recommended.  What happens to the option that used to be given with XP?  Don't tell me we have gone backward.  Somebody told me there is some tweak we can do on the registry and I forgot.  When I tried long time ago, it didn't seem to work.

Also I wish that we have a choice if need be to delay installation or configuration when the computer starts.

Saturday, March 30, 2013 8:03 PM
  • On 3/30/2013 4:03 PM, healee wrote:

Thanks guys!

I like to install updates automatically and that is recommended.  What happens to the option that used to be given with XP?  Don't tell me we have gone backward.  Somebody told me there is some tweak we can do on the registry and I forgot.  When I tried long time ago, it didn't seem to work.

Also I wish that we have a choice if need be to delay installation or configuration when the computer starts.

Go to Windows 8 where it will tell you that you have 48 hours to reboot after an auto update, otherwise, Win 8 will force a reboot to complete the updates.

Saturday, March 30, 2013 8:36 PM
  • Hi,

You can try the following method to shut down the computer:

1. Windows 7 Shutdown Dialog

1. Make sure either your desktop or taskbar is in focus. Clicking on the desktop background or on an empty part of the taskbar is enough. Alternatively, the keyboard shortcut Windows + D will work.

2. Press Alt + F4.

3. You should now have this box:

2. Windows 7 Security Screen

1. Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to get to the security screen.

2. Click the arrow next to the shutdown button.

3. You should see this context menu:

Hope this help

Vincent Wang

• Marked as answer by healee Tuesday, April 2, 2013 8:57 AM
    Monday, April 1, 2013 5:43 AM
  • Go to Windows 8 where it will tell you that you have 48 hours to reboot after an auto update, otherwise, Win 8 will force a reboot to complete the updates.
    Thanks!  It is Windows 7.  Anyway Windows 7 provides the same I think.
    Monday, April 1, 2013 8:08 PM
  • Thanks Vincent.

This is good and this is what I am looking for.  Unfortunately I am so used to shut down from the Microsoft Start button I am afraid I might forget.  If the shutdown button from the Start menu would do the same then it would be fantastic.  Is there any tweak we can do to achieve it.

• Edited by healee Tuesday, April 2, 2013 7:07 AM
    Monday, April 1, 2013 8:13 PM
  • On 4/1/2013 4:08 PM, healee wrote:

Go to Windows 8 where it will tell you that you have 48 hours to reboot after an auto update, otherwise, Win 8 will force a reboot to complete the updates.

Thanks!  It is Windows 7.  Anyway Windows 7 provides the same I think.

I don't do auto-updates on Win 8 or 7, as I want to control what comes to the machine, like drivers from MS that can take out the functionality of a device when Windows update updated the driver.

I have been burnt in that scenario in the past. I'll go to the manufacture that has the driver for their device and update a driver from their site than to let Windows Update update a driver.

Monday, April 1, 2013 11:11 PM
  • I don't do auto-updates on Win 8 or 7, as I want to control what comes to the machine, like drivers from MS that can take out the functionality of a device when Windows update updated the driver.

What do you mean that drivers from MS can take out the functionality of a device?  Don't Microsoft get their source from the manufacturer?

By the way, auto-update is only for MS products.  Updates for other manufacturers are optional which means we have to select them before they would be applied.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 7:12 AM
  • Hi,

As far as I know, you need to use these two options as the workaround. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Vincent Wang

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 8:24 AM
  • Thank you, then.
    Tuesday, April 2, 2013 8:57 AM
  • Control panel -------- windows update ------------ change settings

And then choose  “ Never check for updates( not recommended)”
    Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:15 AM
  • Control panel -------- windows update ------------ change settings

And then choose  “ Never check for updates( not recommended)”

Why is the preference?
    Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:39 AM
  • Thank you for FINALLY providing me a solution to this problem! Yesterday I was late for an appointment because my Windows 7 laptop took about 15 minutes to load 11 updates and I couldn't stop it! I've been searching online for a fix to this for YEARS now, and Microsoft certainly did not make it easy to find in their support forums.

As I'm considering a new laptop and wondering on getting Windows 8 or 8.1, can you tell me if either of them has this issue or have they brought back the simple option of including "Shut Down without installing Updates" from the START menu like they used to have on XP (which was SO much easier)?

While you're at it, any other tips on pluses and minuses on 8.0 vs. 8.1 would be helpful.

Thank you.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 6:51 PM