none
Lync 2013 autostart issue RRS feed

• Question

• We have recently moved to Office 2013, we have Lync 2010 Standalone in place. If we uninstall Lync 2010, Lync 2013 is not set to startup on login. Users have to do this manually.

We see problems with Lync 2013 regarding the window popping up intermittently, this happens when I place a registry key in HKCU or HKLM to start 2013.

This goes away when the user exits out of Lync and reopens from the start menu... at this point the "Configuring Office 2013" bar configures something... and goes away.

What is the best way to get Lync 2013 to start up automatically after we remove 2010 and restart the computer.

Monday, November 16, 2015 2:07 PM

Answers

• Hi CamecoKev,

After uninstalling Lync 2010, a repair of the Office Program might be needed, in order to re-register the Office DLLs.

If it still does not work, to ensure you get better support, I suggest you turn to our Office forum for dedicated support. Sorry for any inconvenience this caused. Thanks for your understanding.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home

Best regards,

Eric

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by CamecoKev Thursday, November 19, 2015 8:51 PM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 6:39 AM

All replies

• Which registry key are you referring to?  The autostart registry key changed going from Lync 2010 to 2013:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/rischwen/archive/2013/06/20/lync-2013-client-auto-start-registry-key.aspx

Can you describe the problem you're seeing from the user's point of view in more detail? 

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, November 16, 2015 3:56 PM
  • I used the exact registry key located in that post.

Registry Location

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Registry Key Name

Lync

Registry Key Type

REG_SZ

Registry Key Value

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\lync.exe" /fromrunkey

The users are seeing Lync randomly popping up from the task bar to be the front window, inability to search for contacts, and inability to connect to lync meetings.

Its strange like I said, that when the user launches it from the start menu the configuring office progress bar comes up, and all the issues go away.

Under further realization, we are using 32 bit office on 64 bit locations, should I be using the wow64node hive?

• Edited by CamecoKev Monday, November 16, 2015 4:04 PM
    Monday, November 16, 2015 4:00 PM
  • Sounds like the install was messed up a bit, or the uninstall is taking a key away that perhaps 2013 is already looking at.  Are you using packages to install/uninstall or can you replicate this on a machine if you perform the changes by hand (programs/features, click uninstall, etc)?

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, November 16, 2015 4:06 PM
  • Test users have manually uninstalled Lync 2010 and experienced the problem.

I am going to try the following registry key location, instead of what we have tried previously

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Monday, November 16, 2015 4:09 PM
  • Good thought.

Monday, November 16, 2015 4:17 PM
  • Hi CamecoKev,

After uninstalling Lync 2010, a repair of the Office Program might be needed, in order to re-register the Office DLLs.

If it still does not work, to ensure you get better support, I suggest you turn to our Office forum for dedicated support. Sorry for any inconvenience this caused. Thanks for your understanding.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home

Best regards,

Eric

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by CamecoKev Thursday, November 19, 2015 8:51 PM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 6:39 AM