none
Outlook Contacts field "Keywords" RRS feed

• Question

• When exporting Outlook Contacts (Outlook 2013) information to Excel, the resulting Excel sheet contains the column "Keywords" (in Dutch version column name is "Trefwoorden"). The data in this column can be modified in Excel and succesfully imported back in Outlook Contacts again.

How can the data in the standard field "Keywords" be displayed or edited using Outlook Contacts user-interface?

Searching in All-Fields the field "Keywords" is not available.

Sunday, October 20, 2019 10:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Ruud,

According to my research, I found the filed "Keywords" shown below:

And I'm afraid that you may not be able to edit this value in Outlook client. It is read-only in Outlook Contacts user-interface to display an attribute.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 21, 2019 8:14 AM
  • Hi Aiden,

Thanks for your reply. This display field doesn't display the contents of "Keywords" as imported from Excel. Keywords will be stored in Outlook though, when exporting again the Excel column contains the data as imported. Still puzzling where this is stored and how it can be updated through Outlook Contacts user-interface.

Regards,

Ruud Brandsma

Monday, October 21, 2019 11:00 AM
  • I believe the default "Keywords" is more of a data type than an actually entry, but you can create a custom field of the Data Type "Keywords". But I could be mistaken.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/outlook/concepts/forms/custom-fields-and-data-types-overview

Monday, October 21, 2019 5:57 PM
  • Hi Ruud,

Thanks for your reply.

According to my research, this "Keywords" is a data used by Outlook ranther than the user. When you imported your contacts to a Excel file, you can see and edit it, but this doesn't make much sense. What's more, modifying this value may also affect Outlook's identification of this contact. So it is not recommended to modify this value.

If possible, could you please tell me why you want to edit this value through Outlook Contacts user-interface?

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 8:16 AM
  • Hi Ruud,

Have you got the issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Monday, October 28, 2019 9:00 AM