none
MS Lync / MS Exchange Display name attributes RRS feed

• Question

• We want to use a different AD attribute as the Display Name in our MS Lync install, than what is used in MS Exchange.

We use Lync entirely internal, and want the employee's dispaly there to read something like:

Joe Smith Dsk 21 Ext 218 - available

Betty Jones Dsk 32 Ext 108 - offline

We initially thought of using the Display Name in AD to hold the Desk # and Extension attributes, but that is used as the Sender name on email, so won't work since it would show up on external e-mails.

My thought is to use the AD field "Description" in the Lync roster, and "Display Name" in Exchange - but can that be done?  If so, where do I go in Lync to change which AD attribute is picked up as the user name in the Contact Roster list?

We are on Server 2008 R2 for Active Directory, Exchange 2010, and Lync 2010 for communications.

Mark Myerscough, Ph.D. Director, Information Technology Wilber and Associates, P.C.
    Friday, June 10, 2011 7:29 PM

Answers

• Found a solution.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/bobh/archive/2010/03/31/using-the-simple-display-name-as-an-external-display-name.aspx

I have configured Exchange to use the AD attribute "Display Name" for internal email, and the Exchange Attribute "Simple Name" for external email.

Lync, (as best I can tell) does not allow configuration of the name, so it must use the AD attribute "Display Name".   (but maybe the posting below on ABSCONFIG would show something different - since I found this solution first, I haven't looked there.)

I then configured the Display Name (in AD) to show the Ext # and Desk # along with the user name, and configure the Simple Name (in Exchange) to only include the User Name.

All internal communications now includes the user's name, ext # and Desk # in the "From" field for email and Lync purposes, but mail going to external addresses has only the user name.

Mark Myerscough, Ph.D. Director, Information Technology Wilber and Associates, P.C.
    Friday, June 10, 2011 9:45 PM

All replies

• Mark

You use the ABSCONFIG utility from the Lync Resource Kit to control how the address book is populated from AD. Dr Rez has an article about it on his blog.

Mike

If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks

MCITP: Lync, Exchange 2010 & Server Administrator

Blog
    Friday, June 10, 2011 7:40 PM
  • Found a solution.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/bobh/archive/2010/03/31/using-the-simple-display-name-as-an-external-display-name.aspx

I have configured Exchange to use the AD attribute "Display Name" for internal email, and the Exchange Attribute "Simple Name" for external email.

Lync, (as best I can tell) does not allow configuration of the name, so it must use the AD attribute "Display Name".   (but maybe the posting below on ABSCONFIG would show something different - since I found this solution first, I haven't looked there.)

I then configured the Display Name (in AD) to show the Ext # and Desk # along with the user name, and configure the Simple Name (in Exchange) to only include the User Name.

All internal communications now includes the user's name, ext # and Desk # in the "From" field for email and Lync purposes, but mail going to external addresses has only the user name.

Friday, June 10, 2011 9:45 PM
  • Hi, Wilber,

Thank you for sharing!

Please remember to click “Mark As Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark As Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 4:39 AM