none
Multiple Exchange Mailboxes -- how do we download full messages for one and only headers for another? RRS feed

• Question

• Across multiple PC's we want to be able to configure per PC (not the same on each) which connected Exchange mailboxes will download full messages vs. which connected Exchange mailboxes will only download headers by default.

I see that I can go to Send/Receive tab -> Send/Receive Groups -> Define Send/Receive Groups, select All Accounts and hit Edit..., then select the Exchange Mailbox on the left, then select each folder in that Mailbox and check the Download headers only, but as far as I can tell, that doesn't do anything. Full messages still download. 

Similarly, I can select Send/Receive tab -> Download preferences and select Download Headers, but that then applies to all mailboxes, which is not what we want at all.

By my Internet research, I've seen a few people say that this used to be an option, but is no longer, because Outlook stopped supporting Folder Options for Exchange connections. Is that right, or should this work?

If this should be possible, what am I doing wrong? How should I set this up so that some mailboxes will only download headers? And note that this must be settable per computer, so I don't want a GPO setting for this.

Colin

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 3:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Colin,

I tested in my environment (Outlook 2013/2016), the result is the same as you.

I got the following conclusion through my tests:

1. >> go to Send/Receive tab -> Send/Receive Groups -> Define Send/Receive Groups, select All Accounts and hit Edit..., then select the Exchange Mailbox on the left, then select each folder in that Mailbox and check the Download headers only.

This feature works well if you are using an POP account.

2. For Exchange account, I'm afraid that Outlook have stopped supporting Folder Options for Exchange account. The only way you can choose is selecting Send/Receive tab -> Download preferences and select Download Headers.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 9:20 AM
  • For Exchange account, I'm afraid that Outlook have stopped supporting Folder Options for Exchange account. The only way you can choose is selecting Send/Receive tab -> Download preferences and select Download Headers.

That's a bug right? At the very least, it's a UI bug, because the Outlook UI clearly shows that this should work by letting you select mailboxes and folders and check whether to download headers or full messages. It even saves the settings so they still appear following an Outlook or system restart, but they do nothing. Hopefully, this can be acknowledged and fixed not just as a UI bug, but as a functional bug in that Outlook ignores these options.

I don't understand these kind of functional failures. MS has been generally adding support for multiple separate Exchange mailboxes, so why take away functions that are critical for users to be able to actually have multiple mailboxes? If there's limited bandwidth, downloading full messages with large attachments from ancillary mailboxes becomes a showstopper.

Colin

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 10:02 AM
  • Hi Colin,

I will continue to follow up on this issue.

Once there is any update, I will post here at the first time.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, May 24, 2019 8:47 AM