none
Group Policy Preferences - Drive Mapping Questions RRS feed

• Question

• I wanted to use Preferences to create drive mappings. It seems to be working OK, however, I'm having a few issues.

First, when you do not check 'reconnect', and you delete the mapping, without switching the action to 'delete', the drive mapping continues to connect on the client machine. I understand the action tab (to change to delete) is there for a reason, but if the drive is set to not reconnect, and there is no policy telling it to connect, where and how is this setting being saved at telling the drive to keep remapping?

Second, the option to 'Replace' and 'Update' a drive mapping: Are these settings designed to make changes to existing maps, as in making changes to existing objects, or do you need to delete old objects, and replace them with these, using the 'Replace' and 'Update' actions? And why would one Replace, rather than Update, or vice-versa?

Third, it seems that the Update setting does not specify what can be updated. Is it just the label for a mapped drive, the patch, other settings, or the drive letter itself?

Lastly, since it seems that some drive mappings want to stick around, even after you update or replace them, I've considered having the 1st processed item a action:Delete - All drives after (drive letter). After that, each drive mapping I specify would be created. Is this a safe option to have, to ensure all old settings are removed, prior to processing a new drive map?

Thanks!

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 1:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please clarify what you mean when you mentioned "delete the mapping". I assume you remove the GPP configuration item, but keep the GPO linked. If not, please describe more clearly.

According to my test results, if you didn't check on the "Remove this item when it is no longer applied" under the common tab when you configure the GPP item, the mapped drive will still exist even after you delete the Drive Maps GPP item. Then, you have to create a new Drive Maps GPP, using the Delete action to remove the unwanted mapped drive.

For more information about the Common Options, refer to the link below:

Configure Common Options

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772371.aspx

As to the effects of the "Replace" and "Update" actions, please refer to the link below:

Configure a Mapped Drive Item

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770902.aspx

Replace

Delete and recreate mapped drives for users. The net result of the Replace action is to overwrite all existing settings associated with the mapped drive. If the drive mapping does not exist, then the Replace action creates a new drive mapping.

Update

Modify settings of an existing mapped drive for users. This action differs from Replace in that it only updates settings defined within the preference item. All other settings remain as configured on the mapped drive. If the drive mapping does not exist, then the Update action creates a new drive mapping.

Regards,

Cecilia Zhou

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 9:28 AM
  • Hi,

As to the differences between the Replace and Update actions, please refer to the link below:

Using Group Policy Preferences to Map Drives Based on Group Membership

http://www.techmesh.com.au/2011/03/using-group-policy-preferences-to-map.html

The compelling difference between Replace and Update is that Replace deletes the mapped drive and then creates a new mapped drive with the configured settings. Update does NOT delete the mapped drive-- it only modifies the mapped drive with the new settings. Group Policy Drive Maps use the drive letter to determine if a specific drive exists.

Hope the information will be helpful.

Please tell me the result when you finish the test.

Regards,

Cecilia Zhou

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Cecilia_ZhouModerator Tuesday, June 7, 2011 1:16 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by BDCMSFT Wednesday, June 8, 2011 3:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by BDCMSFT Wednesday, June 8, 2011 3:38 AM
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please clarify what you mean when you mentioned "delete the mapping". I assume you remove the GPP configuration item, but keep the GPO linked. If not, please describe more clearly.

According to my test results, if you didn't check on the "Remove this item when it is no longer applied" under the common tab when you configure the GPP item, the mapped drive will still exist even after you delete the Drive Maps GPP item. Then, you have to create a new Drive Maps GPP, using the Delete action to remove the unwanted mapped drive.

Configure Common Options

As to the effects of the "Replace" and "Update" actions, please refer to the link below:

Replace

Delete and recreate mapped drives for users. The net result of the Replace action is to overwrite all existing settings associated with the mapped drive. If the drive mapping does not exist, then the Replace action creates a new drive mapping.

Update

Modify settings of an existing mapped drive for users. This action differs from Replace in that it only updates settings defined within the preference item. All other settings remain as configured on the mapped drive. If the drive mapping does not exist, then the Update action creates a new drive mapping.

Regards,

Cecilia Zhou

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 9:28 AM
  • Hi,

Configure Common Options

Replace

Update

Regards,

Cecilia Zhou

When I say "delete the mapping" I mean delete the object created in Group Policy Preferences - Drive Maps, to map a drive. I will attempt to use the checkbox "Remove this item when it is no longer applied" and see if it will delete the mapping when I remove the item.

As for Replace and Update, I've read those definitions, but to me they sound the same. One updates the settings, the other replaces the settings, either way you end up with the item that you want. What is the benefit of one over the other?

Thursday, June 2, 2011 1:50 AM
  • Hi,

As to the differences between the Replace and Update actions, please refer to the link below:

The compelling difference between Replace and Update is that Replace deletes the mapped drive and then creates a new mapped drive with the configured settings. Update does NOT delete the mapped drive-- it only modifies the mapped drive with the new settings. Group Policy Drive Maps use the drive letter to determine if a specific drive exists.

Regards,

Cecilia Zhou

• Marked as answer by Cecilia_ZhouModerator Tuesday, June 7, 2011 1:16 AM
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:47 AM
  •  

Hi,

Regards,

Cecilia Zhou

Hello. When I use the checkbox "Remove this item when it is no longer applied", the GPP Item changes to Replace automatically. When I delete the GPP item (without using the Delete action), after two reboots on the client, the drive mapping disappears as it should.

It works perfectly. Thank so you much!

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 3:38 AM
  • Hi,

Appreciate your update and response. I am glad to hear that the problem has been fixed. If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to post in our forum. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Cecilia Zhou

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:15 AM
  • Does Replace delete all drive mappings or just the Drive map specified?

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:11 PM