none
Issues After Integrating KB3177467 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to update my Windows 7 Deployment image with update KB3177467. Once I use DISM to add this update to my Windows 7 WIM, no further updates can be applied to the WIM. The error I see on the Command Prompt is:

An error occurred applying the Unattend.xml file from the .msu package.
    For more information, review the log file. Error: 0x800f082f

The error in dism.log is:

Exec: Cannot finalize session because an exclusive session is pending. [HRESULT = 0x800f082f - CBS_E_EXCLUSIVE_WOULD_MERGE]

I tried this out with a fresh copy of the install.wim off of a MSDN ISO, integrating KB3177467, and then trying to integrate any other Windows Update. The same errors happen.

Does anybody know what could be causing these errors? Thank you.

Saturday, December 17, 2016 4:08 AM

All replies

• I took a further look into this issue. The error 0x800f082f seems to occur when the Registry entry HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\SessionsPending\Exclusive is not set to 0. For some reason, when integrating KB3177467 to a WIM, DISM leaves that Registry entry set to 3.

Am I correct in my analysis of the error message? And if so, why is the Registry entry mentioned above not 0 after integrating KB3177467? Is that an issue with DISM or the Windows Update?

Saturday, December 17, 2016 5:20 AM
  • Hi,

Based on your description, I found several articles may help you, please refer to the link:

How to fix the dreaded Windows Error: 0x800F082F

http://www.varidan.com.au/how-to-fix-the-dreaded-windows-error-0x800f082f/

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Windows 8 update failure. Error code 0x800f082f.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-update/windows-8-update-failure-error-code-0x800f082f/9016c586-b247-4e90-8ffb-ee264d2ea333

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 19, 2016 9:12 AM
  • Hi Tao,

The first article came to the same conclusion as I did, in that it's an issue with a Registry key. However, I need to eliminate this issue from happening in the first place as it is breaking my automated system for updating WIMs.

It's also a pain to fix manually, as the Registry key in question is only editable by TrustedInstaller. I have to mount the Registry hive, grant myself permissions to this Registry key, edit the key, remove the permissions I granted myself, and finally unmount the Registry hive. This has to be done for each WIM I maintain.

I'd rather find a solution that stops this from happening. Thank you.

Monday, December 19, 2016 6:05 PM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem?  We are looking forward to your good news.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 26, 2016 1:25 AM
  • I haven't been able to work on the issue, actually. Manually editing the Registry seems to be the only option, unless Microsoft knows of a fix or re-releases the update with a fix.

I'm thinking of integrating KB3020369 instead (which is superseded by KB3177467) and just letting the imaged machines install this one update afterwards.

Thanks

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 1:36 PM
  • I think you are right, it seems that Microsoft doesn't release the update so far, I'm afraid we may need to manually editing the registry.

Thursday, December 29, 2016 2:19 AM