none
Formula Firewall RRS feed

• Question

• Hello together,

I am struggeling with the Formula Firewall in Power Query and just want to understand the problem correctly. Additionally maybe someone has an acceptable solution for me J

The problem:

I want to import a complete folder with PQ (no matter if in Excel or Power BI Desktop) containing only csv files. This folder is not fix, but is defined by a parameter.

Scripting:

let
        Source = Folder.Files(MyFolderParameter)
    in
        Source

After pushing the following button  several more steps are added to the script, which now looks like this:

Afterwards I get the following message:

Formula.Firewall:

Query 'Testfolder' (step 'Expanded Table Column1') references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination.

In my understanding of the problem:

The yellow part of the query does refer to the previous step ("removed other column1") and (by trying to get a list of column names) invokes the custom function "Transform Files from Testfolder", which uses another source (the sample file) to read the column names. This combines two different data sources in one Query Step, right? Is this, why the Firewall Warning pops up?!

If so (and this is my understanding) how can I import csv files and use parameters to make the folder path dynamic?

Thanks in advance,

Lars

Monday, May 8, 2017 6:26 AM

Answers

• Hi Lars. Sorry for the late reply.

We've confirmed that the issue you're seeing is indeed a bug and are looking into it. In the meantime, the only way to work around it is to either not use a parameter for the folder name, or disable the firewall (by changing the setting to "Ignore the Privacy levels and potentially improve performance").

Ehren

Monday, May 15, 2017 6:27 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi Lars. Sorry for the late reply.

We've confirmed that the issue you're seeing is indeed a bug and are looking into it. In the meantime, the only way to work around it is to either not use a parameter for the folder name, or disable the firewall (by changing the setting to "Ignore the Privacy levels and potentially improve performance").

Ehren

Monday, May 15, 2017 6:27 PM
    Owner
  • Has this issue been resolved in recent releases? I'm currently using the most recent update and seem to behaving a similar problem.  I am trying to release my Power Query model as a Power BI Template (PBIT), so disabling the firewall is not a problem, as I do not want to ask my end users to disable their firewall anytime they use my template.

Thanks,

Pat

Monday, May 21, 2018 4:32 PM