none
Minimum requirement server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

My request is simple. I want to to use only on Lync : chat, make audio call in, make audio call out, make video call in, make video call out, share remote screen, send file.

What is the minimum setup to have this working ? (what are the VMs needed ? how much RAM do I need ?)

I have very limited machine to host the Lync server setup.

Thank you !

Thursday, May 7, 2015 4:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• Depends, how many uses do you have? What is the percentage of these different modalities?

A single Standard Edition server for example may be sufficient to do all of this, but hard to tell as there are a number of variables.

I'd suggest taking a look at the Lync Server Capacity Calculator https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36828

Also have a look at these system requirements: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398835(v=ocs.15).aspx

If this helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer"

Georg Thomas | MVP (Skype for Business)
    Blog skype4bexpert.com | Twitter @georgathomas
    Lync/Skype for Business Edge Port Check (Beta)

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, May 7, 2015 4:46 PM
  • Thank you for your answer. The uses I have is for demo purpose.

Actually I want to use the demo version just for testing the functionnalites I mentionned above. I'll have like 3 or 4 users.

What I downloaded from microsoft website is, VHDs of 7 virtual machines : DC / LYNC-SE / EXUM / LYNC-EDGE / LYNC-QMS / SPS2010 / TS

So in order to have (chat, make audio call in, make audio call out, make video call in, make video call out, share remote screen, send file) working, do I need the 7 VMs running or just some of them ?

As I have one limited machine to host all VMs and I am trying to have the minimum setup of all of this.

Thank you again. 

Monday, May 11, 2015 7:47 AM
  • So at a bare minimum you will need just 2:

DC & Lync SE

If you want to add external access (as in connect A/V/IM from the outside and federation, you will need Lync-Edge also.

If you want to add voicemail capabilities you will need EXUM.

Are these the Lync 2010 VHDs?

If this helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer"

Georg Thomas | MVP (Skype for Business)
    Blog skype4bexpert.com | Twitter @georgathomas
    Lync/Skype for Business Edge Port Check (Beta)

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, May 15, 2015 7:38 PM