none
"File cannot be opened" message when saving an MS Project file RRS feed

• Question

• I have a file that seems to have become corrupted.  When saving, only some changes are going through.  This file has been in use for almost 2 years.  This is the error message:

The file cannot be opened.

*Check that the file name and path are correct.

*Check that the file format is recognized by Project.

*Project files saved in a version earlier than Microsoft Project 98 can't be opened.

*If your file is from an earlier version, open it in that version, click Save as (File menu), and save in MPX format.  Open the MPX file in the current version of Project. When you use this method, project data is imported, but formatting is lost.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:19 PM

All replies

• Save as XML format and then reopen in MS Project, this should work. Which is the current version of project you are using? Is this file created in some previous versions?

Sapna Shukla

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 4:01 PM
  • Hi Sapna,

Thank you for your response.  I think the file may have been created in Project 2007, but I am currently using MS Project 2010 Standard.

We have had problems at my company with MS Project 2010 Standard files that are saved on our network drive.  They seem to work better saved to individual PCs.

Joe

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 4:18 PM
  • Hi Joe,

As you correctly noted that files on network drives are causing issues rather than those on individual PCs, reason been that network shared files are prone to corruption due to frequent loss in updates because of network breakage or other factors. So, try to save this file in XML and re-open.

Sapna Shukla

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 5:02 PM
  • Also files created in 2007 should be opened in Project 2007 with SP3 then saved again before opening in 2010. P2007 without SP3 had rather a lot of bugs.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 9:48 PM