none
Presence update and contact update is very sluggish RRS feed

• Question

• I have an enterprise deployment and anytime the presence is updated or anytime someone wants to add a contact, the lync client freezes for awhile. Sometimes it's 30 seconds and sometimes it's like 2 minutes and then it will update the information. I looked at the front end pool servers and the backend sql server and none of them look like they are pressed for resources. Any ideas?
    Friday, December 10, 2010 3:17 PM

Answers

• Are all servers on physical machine and not collocated? No any other errors or hints occurring on Lync FE server? Would you please use a non-domain joined computer connect to Lync pool have a try?

If still no luck after tried above, so it's a issue related to Lync FE server, I would recommend you create a new Lync FE server into the existing Lync pool and make DNS load balancing, after CMS replication is finished, then take out the old Lync FE server to test if new Lync FE server works well.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Wednesday, January 5, 2011 3:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by prestonL Wednesday, January 12, 2011 8:41 PM
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 3:21 AM

All replies

• Hi, all users behave like that?

Is it a new Lync server deployment?

Are all servers on physical machine and not collocated?

Are there errors or warnings on Event viewer?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, December 13, 2010 8:59 AM
  • Hi,

Yes it happens for all users. It is a new deployment. I have a FE server, a director, a sql backend server, and an edge server. There are no errors or warnings in event viewer. It seems to happen when a user goes idle and lync automatically changes status to away. When the user comes back, lync is really sluggish to update the status and if the user tries to change the status manually, it still takes a while for it to update.

Monday, December 13, 2010 10:13 PM
  • It also happens for external users that access via Lync Edge server? Would you please bypass director server try again? (Simply change Lync Edge server and SRV record point to Lync pool.)

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 3:09 AM
  • It seems like it does not happen for external users that access via the edge server. I've tried to bypass the director and the problem still happens.
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 2:15 PM
  • Today, it seems to be happening at the same time for multiple people. Does anyone else have this issue or am I alone here?

update: it seems to affect more than just presence. when this happens IM's are delayed and signing out doesn't work.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 8:47 PM
  • Are all servers on physical machine and not collocated? No any other errors or hints occurring on Lync FE server? Would you please use a non-domain joined computer connect to Lync pool have a try?

If still no luck after tried above, so it's a issue related to Lync FE server, I would recommend you create a new Lync FE server into the existing Lync pool and make DNS load balancing, after CMS replication is finished, then take out the old Lync FE server to test if new Lync FE server works well.

• Proposed as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Wednesday, January 5, 2011 3:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by prestonL Wednesday, January 12, 2011 8:41 PM
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 3:21 AM
  • All servers are virtual. I checked Lync logging and found a lot of errors related to the database on the FE so i will try your idea of adding another FE server into the pool and take out the old one. 
    Monday, December 20, 2010 5:41 PM

This fixed the problem. It was a problem with the RTC local database on the front end server. Adding another FE server to the pool and taking out the old one worked.
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 3:42 PM