none
Enabling Enterprise Voice for online users RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have currently an office 365 E3 subscription with most of users online, using their exchange and skype for business, we also have an Exchange 2016 hybrid deployment that is hosting minimal number of users.

We are now into moving legacy phone system to skype for business and we will need enterprise voice with most of its capabilities, including porting in current phone numbers.

So, what is the best solution to go for in terms of complexity and financially? We are based in Australia.

- Installing new on prem SFB 2015 full deployment with SBCs and moving users back to on prem environment.

- Installing new on prem SFB 2015 full deployment with SBCs and maintaining users on Office 365 / purchasing cloud PBX licenses

- Installing cloud connector edition with SBCs and maintaining users on Office 365

- Depending only on the cloud solution offered by Microsoft

Waiting for ideas from Skype Experts for similar deployments.

Thanks

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 7:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Mohamed,

There is no correct answer to this question, as different organisations may favour one architecture over another differing reasons - but consider the below high level questions;

The first question you need to answer is whether Cloud PBX currently offers all the functionality that you require of a phone system? The native feature set for a Skype for Business on-premises deployment is richer and more flexible that a Cloud PBX solution at this time. If you require third party call recording, contact centre, advanced analytics, billing & accounting solutions etc., then you will not be able to meet these requirements with Cloud PBX (for now) either.

If you review the Cloud PBX feature set and are happy that it provides all the functionality required, the next question is whether you retain your existing on-premises PSTN connectivity, or have Microsoft provide that PSTN connectivity for you. Again, no correct answer - for example you may be mid-way through a multi-year contract with your current provider, in which case the financial penalty of breaking said contract doesn't justify the move. You may be on a great deal, and Microsoft PSTN calling mathematically works out more expensive for you. You may be heavily invested in a org wide push to the cloud strategy, in which case you'd be happy to take a limited financial penalty for such a move if it meant progressing said strategy. There may be historic performance issues with your existing connectivity - it's very much specific to your own organisation.

If you ended up going for a Cloud PBX architecture with on-premises PSTN connectivity, I would (personally) opt for the CCE solution - either natively or through one of the more common CCE appliance vendors (Sonus / AudioCodes). I say personally because a good case could probably be made for deploying Skype for Business on-premises and leveraging that. Again, there may be a technical reason why deploying on-prem makes more sense than CCE.

Normally entire workshops and sessions are dedicated to the answering of this question with heavy input from the organisation, and I'm pretty sure I've merely written down the questions that you may have already asked yourself. Ultimately as I mentioned, there is no correct answer - they're all great ;)

Kind regards
    Ben

Note: If you find a post informative, please mark it so using the arrow to the left. If it answers a question you've asked, please mark the thread as answered to aid others when they're looking for solutions to similar problems.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 8:01 AM
  • Hi Ben,

Thanks for your clarification and valuable feedback.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 5:48 AM