OAB Missing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We migrated from EX2010 to 2013 about 2 years ago and it has been working without any issues. We have been tasked with created some new Address book policies and new address lists and in doing that it has brought my attention to a strange issue.

There doesn't appear to be an offline address book as in one doesn't exist.

If I run get-offlineaddressbook from EMS it doesn't do anything and just goes back to the prompt there are no results, if I try and create a new one I receive the following message:

The parent object could not be found. Please check that \ exists.

I have checked the OAB folder on the exchange server and no GUID exists for an offline address book.

It's my opinion that it has never worked, our workstations use outlook in cached exchange mode but connect to the GAL which is why we have never noticed before.

Does anyone know how I can recreate the default offline address book without having to re-install?

Thanks

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 12:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Check if there are any error events related to OAB generation in application log.

If exchange server 2010 is removed from environment completely?

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mspfe/2015/08/26/decommissioning-legacy-exchange-servers/

And please post the complete command that you use to create a new offline address list.

The Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Assistant service on Mailbox Role is responsible for generating OAB. Try to restart it to see if OAB generates. If this doesn't work, what's the result of the following command?

Get-Mailbox -Arbitration | where {$_.PersistedCapabilities -like “*OAB*”} | ft Name,Servername,Database

If this mailbox is missing, check if this object exists in AD: SystemMailbox{bb558c35-97f1-4cb9-8ff7-d53741dc928c}. Remove it, then run Setup.exe /PrepareAD to recreate it.

Let us know the results.

Regards,

Lynn-Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Lynn-Li Monday, October 17, 2016 2:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lynn-Li Monday, October 24, 2016 1:38 AM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2016 2:57 AM

All replies

• Hi.

Sometime you doesn't result, when you run EMS without administrator privilege. Please  run EMS with Run As Administrator and Exchange Organization Administrator.

Please check available arbitration mailbox.

Managing OAB in Exchange Server 2013  

Offline address book procedures

Troubleshooting OAB issues  in Exchange 2013

MCITP, MCSE. Regards, Oleg

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 2:06 PM
  • Hi,

I have tried that too but no luck.

I ran:

New-OfflineAddressBook and supplied the following values:

AddressLists[0]:Default Global Address List
    AddressLists[1]:
    Name: OAB

I received the following message:

The parent object for OAB could not be found. Please check that \ exists

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 2:33 PM
  • Tuesday, October 4, 2016 2:36 PM
  • I have followed the advice in that link and still no luck. The same error messages apply however all other information checks out OK.
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 3:08 PM
    • Test-ServiceHealth and ensure all required Exchange services are started.
    • Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Assistant service generates OAB on the server.
    • Try restarting this service on the mailbox server homing the database copy of the Arbitration mailbox.
    • Try Updating OAB using the cmdlet: Update-OfflineAddressBook “Default Offline Address Book”
    • You can create a new Offline address book and assign it to all the databases:
      New-OfflineAddressBook -Name “EXCHANGE2013 OAB” -AddressLists “\Default Global Address List” -VirtualDirectories “MBX1\OAB (Default Web Site)”
      Get-Mailboxdatabase | Set-MailboxDatabase -OfflineAddressBook “EXCHANGE2013 OAB”
    • Try to move the Arbitration mailbox Database to a different server using the cmdlet:
      Move-ActiveMailboxDatabase DB01 -ActivateOnServer MBX1
    • Now navigate to the location of OAB and ensure the folder is there.
      CAS role accepts the OAB download request from clients and proxies to a Mailbox role server. CAS maintains a log of each request it handles in the log files, present in %ExchangeInstallPath%\Logging\HttpProxy\OAB\. You can open this log in excel and review results.
    • Move the Arbitration mailbox to a new mailbox database
      Get-Mailbox -Arbitration -Database DB3 | where {$_.PersistedCapabilities –like “*OAB*”} | New-MoveRequest -TargetDatabase DB8
    • Create a new OAB Gen Arbitration mailbox
      New-Mailbox -Arbitration -Name “OABGen” -UserPrincipalName OABGen@exchguru.local –DisplayName “OAB Generation Mailbox” -Database DB10
    • Set-Mailbox -Arbitration OABGen@exchguru.local -OABGen $true

Dinesh Singh https://ucservice.blogspot.com

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 3:08 PM
  • Hi,

Check if there are any error events related to OAB generation in application log.

If exchange server 2010 is removed from environment completely?

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mspfe/2015/08/26/decommissioning-legacy-exchange-servers/

And please post the complete command that you use to create a new offline address list.

The Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Assistant service on Mailbox Role is responsible for generating OAB. Try to restart it to see if OAB generates. If this doesn't work, what's the result of the following command?

Get-Mailbox -Arbitration | where {$_.PersistedCapabilities -like “*OAB*”} | ft Name,Servername,Database

If this mailbox is missing, check if this object exists in AD: SystemMailbox{bb558c35-97f1-4cb9-8ff7-d53741dc928c}. Remove it, then run Setup.exe /PrepareAD to recreate it.

Let us know the results.

Regards,

Lynn-Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Lynn-Li Monday, October 17, 2016 2:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lynn-Li Monday, October 24, 2016 1:38 AM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2016 2:57 AM