none
Lync Phone Issue

Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to get Lync to work by having it call me to start a Meeting. It always gives the error "We couldn't reach you" when I tell it to start the meeting by calling me at my number. I've tried a couple of different numbers. Am I misunderstanding how the program works? We received Lync through our Office 365 Business Essentials plan. It looks like we may have to use a 3rd party provider to be able to use phone conferencing (non-computer)? Thanks for any insight anyone can provide about how Lync works on a basic level and in the scenario above.

Friday, February 20, 2015 2:50 PM

Answers

• If you're using Office365 from Microsoft, Lync will be unable to call your phone to join a conference.  This is a feature currently only available to on-premises deployments.

If you have a third party conference provider for the phone, then users could dial in to listen into the conference, but I don't believe you would be able to dial out to a phone in this scenario, again, that would only be for on-premises deployments.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, February 20, 2015 3:48 PM

All replies

• If you're using Office365 from Microsoft, Lync will be unable to call your phone to join a conference.  This is a feature currently only available to on-premises deployments.

If you have a third party conference provider for the phone, then users could dial in to listen into the conference, but I don't believe you would be able to dial out to a phone in this scenario, again, that would only be for on-premises deployments.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, February 20, 2015 3:48 PM
  • If it's only available to on-premises installations, then make the system context aware and not provide that user interface as an option.  It only confuses the end user and costs us in lost productivity.
    Monday, September 14, 2015 3:19 PM
  • Agree 100%. I wasted two hours of my team's time trying to figure this out. The error message says nothing. The only way you can find out that the Skype can't call you is by researching online to find the answer.

Friday, April 21, 2017 3:58 PM