none
Windows 10 will not activate with KMS RRS feed

• Question

• We have a new Win 2012 license server.  We haven't moved DNS yet, but are testing to make sure existing VM's are activating by using /skms.  We've successfully been able to activate Win 7 and server 2012 to the new license server, however, Win10 won't activate.  I keep getting the error 0xC004F074 'No KMS could be contacted'.

I do see in the event viewer, ID 12288 from the client, and I see ID 12290 on the server.  I don't see ID 12289 returned on the client.  I have disabled the firewall on the client to no avail.

Any ideas ?

Monday, January 28, 2019 6:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Martin,

We can follow below steps to check the kms host key you want:

1. Log on to the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
    2. Click License.
    3. Click Relationship Summary.
    4. Click License ID of our current Active License.
    5. After the page loads, click Product Keys.
    6. In the list of keys, locate the key you want that appropriate your environment, such as “Windows Srv 2012R2 DataCtr/Std KMS for Windows 10”.Install this key on the KMS host.

NOTE: Please make sure we are the admin, otherwise the Licenses may be grayed out.

Besides, Installations of KMS on Windows Server 2012 must be updated in order to support activation of clients running Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 or Windows Server 2019, or newer client or server operating systems. For more information, see July 2016 update rollup for Windows Server 2012.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum. Thank you for choosing Microsoft.

Best regards,

Zoe Mo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 9:07 AM

All replies

• Hello,

What Product is the KMS host key that is installed on the Windows Server 2012 KMS host machine?

This should be one of the following KMS host keys:

Windows Srv 2012R2 DataCtr/Std KMS for Windows 10

Windows Server 2016

Windows Server 2019 

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, January 28, 2019 8:11 PM
  • Under VAMT, it shows Win 10 RTM Enterprise.
    Monday, January 28, 2019 8:56 PM
  • Hello,

I am asking for the key that is installed on the KMS host machine

Open an elevated CMD prompt

run cscript slmgr.vbs /dlv

Can you post the output removing any company specific information.

A Windows 10 Enterprise key cannot be installed on Windows Server 2012 KMS host.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, January 28, 2019 9:40 PM
  • Hi Martin,

As Darrell mentioned above, could you please share the output of command slmgr.vbs /dlv on the KMS host for our reference? If you want to activate the Windows 10 client and the KMS host is a Windows 2012 server, I suspect there are only 2 CSVLK appropriated for current situation: Volume License for Windows Server 2016 and Volume license for "Windows Server 2012 R2 for Windows 10".

Also I found some of the reasons why a 12290 event may not exist:

• Network outage
    • Host not resolving/registered in DNS
    • Firewall blocking TCP 1688
      • This can happen in many places within the environment, including on the KMS host system itself. By default, the exception for KMS exists in the firewall configuration dialog. However, it is not enabled automatically. You will need to turn on the exception.
    • Log full

For relating event logs on KMS host and clients, you can check following links for more details:

KMS host https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/tn-archive/ee939272(v=technet.10)#event-viewer

KMS clients https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/tn-archive/ee939272(v=technet.10)#event-viewer-1

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum. Thank you for choosing Microsoft.

Best regards,

Zoe Mo

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 9:16 AM
  • Here is the /dlv output.

Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Software licensing service version: 6.2.9200.21894

Name: Windows(R), ServerDatacenter edition
    Description: Windows(R) Operating System, VOLUME_KMS_WS12 channel
    Activation ID: 7b37c913-252b-46be-ad80-b2b5ceade8af
    Application ID: 55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f
    Extended PID: 05426-00206-153-114982-03-1033-9200.0000-3232016
    Installation ID: 017024921412258273299920308613580861001045448203478246
    Use License URL: https://activation.sls.microsoft.com/SLActivateProduct/SLActivateProduct.asmx?configextension=Retail
    Validation URL: https://validation.sls.microsoft.com/SLWGA/slwga.asmx
    Partial Product Key: 4B8KY
    License Status: Licensed
    Remaining Windows rearm count: 1000
    Trusted time: 2019-01-29 9:29:59 AM

Key Management Service is enabled on this machine
        Current count: 28
        Listening on Port: 1688
        DNS publishing disabled
        KMS priority: Normal

Key Management Service cumulative requests received from clients
        Total requests received: 21885
        Failed requests received: 2468
        Requests with License Status Unlicensed: 0
        Requests with License Status Licensed: 1037
        Requests with License Status Initial grace period: 2780
        Requests with License Status License expired or Hardware out of tolerance: 0
        Requests with License Status Non-genuine grace period: 0
        Requests with License Status Notification: 15600

I've gone through the other options listed (firewall, dns etc) and nothing seems to work.

• Edited by Martin0265 Tuesday, January 29, 2019 6:52 PM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2019 6:51 PM
  • Hello

You need to update the KMS host key to Activate Windows 10

You have: Description: Windows(R) Operating System, VOLUME_KMS_WS12 channe

This should be one of the following KMS host keys:

Windows Srv 2012R2 DataCtr/Std KMS for Windows 10

Windows Server 2016

Windows Server 2019 

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 7:20 PM
  • I think that is where my disconnect is, I see something similar, but not quite the same.  Here is what I have in VAMT:

Office 15_KMS HostVL_KMS_Host 
    Office 16_KMSHost VL_KMS_Host 
    RTM_Pro Plus_KMS_Host 
    RTM_Pro Plus_KMS_Host 
    Server 2008 R2 DC and IA64 Volume:CSVLK (KMS_C) 
    Server 2008 R2 Std and Ent Volume:CSVLK (KMS_B) 
    Server 2008 R2 Web and CC Volume:CSVLK (KMS_A) 
    Win 10 RTM Enterprise; EnterpriseN;Professional ProfessionalN;Enterprise S; Enterprise SN;Education;Education N Volume:CSVLK 
    Win 10 RTM Enterprise; EnterpriseN;Professional;ProfessionalN;Enterprise S; Enterprise SN;Education;Education Volume:CSVLK 
    Win 8 RTM Enterprise EnterpriseN;Professional Professional Volume:CSVLK 
    Win 8.1 RTM Enterprise EnterpriseN;Professional Professional Volume CSVLK 
    Windows 7 All Volume Editions Volume:CSVLK Windows Server 2008 Datacenter & Itanium CSVLK 
    Windows Server 2008 Standard & Enterprise CSVLK 
    Windows Server 2012 R2 RTM ServerDatacenter:Server Standard Volume CSVLK 
    Windows Server 2012 R2 RTM ServerDatacenter:Server Standard Volume:CSVLK for Win 10 
    Windows Server 2012 RTM ServerDatacenter Server Standard:ServerMultiPoint Standard:ServerMultiPoint Premium Volume:CSVLK 
    Windows Server 2016 RTM ServerDatacenter Server Standard Volume CSVLK 
    Windows Web & Compute Cluster Server 2008 CSVLK

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 8:27 PM
  • Hello,

You should log onto the Volume License Center and acquire the right KMS host.

the keys you have in VAMT will not activate Windows 10 KMS Clients.

You need to get one of the key types I listed above to use on the Windows Server 2012 KMS host

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 8:30 PM
  • Hi Martin,

We can follow below steps to check the kms host key you want:

1. Log on to the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
    2. Click License.
    3. Click Relationship Summary.
    4. Click License ID of our current Active License.
    5. After the page loads, click Product Keys.
    6. In the list of keys, locate the key you want that appropriate your environment, such as “Windows Srv 2012R2 DataCtr/Std KMS for Windows 10”.Install this key on the KMS host.

NOTE: Please make sure we are the admin, otherwise the Licenses may be grayed out.

Besides, Installations of KMS on Windows Server 2012 must be updated in order to support activation of clients running Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 or Windows Server 2019, or newer client or server operating systems. For more information, see July 2016 update rollup for Windows Server 2012.

Best regards,

Zoe Mo

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 9:07 AM
  • That did it !  I found the key as described, set it up on my KMS server and now when I do a /dlv it shows : 

Description: Windows(R) Operating System, VOLUME_KMS_2012-R2_WIN10 channel

Now my Windows 10 clients are activating.

Thanks for all the help !

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 1:39 PM
  • Hi Martin,

You are welcome! I am glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved.

As always, if there is any question in future, we warmly welcome you to post in this partner forum again. We are happy to assist you!

Best regards,

Zoe Mo

Thursday, January 31, 2019 1:30 AM
  • We have a Windows Server 2012 r2 for KMS server with Windows 7 Enterprise key.

Can I add a Windows 10 KMS key in the same Kms server?

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 1:28 PM
  • Hello,

You will need the appropriate Windows Server key, Client keys cannot be installed on Server machine.  Windows 10 KMS host keys can only be installed on Windows client machines.

See this blog

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askpfeplat/2018/10/08/kms-activation-in-windows-server-2019/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/volume-activation/activate-using-key-management-service-vamt

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 3:14 PM