none
Archiving configured and installed, however database appears empty. Question about Message Queuing.

Question

• I noticed this morning that even though the LcsLog database is over 1GB in size, there doesn't appear to be anything in it.

When initially installing Lync, I specified in Topology Builder for there to be an archiving server, and the software is installed on the server hosting the archiving role. In the Lync Control Panel under the Topology page, I can see the server with the archiving role and everything shows up green. I have an archive policy and configuration setup.

So far everything I've been able to find online points to an issue with the Message Queuing. From what I can find, Message Queuing should be installed on both the front end server and the archive server. What I've found is that the Message Queuing feature is not installed on either server.

Can someone confirm that this is why my LcsLog database is empty? Also, if I simply install the Message Queuing feature on both servers, along with the Directory Service Integration will it just start working or is there going to be additional configuration to do?

Also, why did the Lync setup complete on both of these two server without either throwing a warning/error about Message Queuing not being installed, or installing it itself?

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:05 PM

Answers

• Can someone confirm that this is why my LcsLog database is empty? Also, if I simply install the Message Queuing feature on both servers, along with the Directory Service Integration will it just start working or is there going to be additional configuration to do?

Microsoft Lync Server 2010 Archiving Server and Monitoring Server both use the Message Queuing (also known as MSMQ) service to collect and reliably move data messages from the collection point to the repository servers.

You need to run the Step2: Setup Lync Server 2010 components with Lync Server Deployment Wizard.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:29 AM

All replies

• Message Queuing is required on the Front-End Servers, please install using the following

# Requirements for Message Queuing
    Add-WindowsFeature  MSMQ-Server,  MSMQ-Directory

Also make sure that you have turned on Archiving on the Server side and have configured Archiving in a Client policy

- Belgian Unified Communications Community : http://www.pro-lync.be - MCM/MVP/MCT

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:46 PM
  • Can someone confirm that this is why my LcsLog database is empty? Also, if I simply install the Message Queuing feature on both servers, along with the Directory Service Integration will it just start working or is there going to be additional configuration to do?

Microsoft Lync Server 2010 Archiving Server and Monitoring Server both use the Message Queuing (also known as MSMQ) service to collect and reliably move data messages from the collection point to the repository servers.

You need to run the Step2: Setup Lync Server 2010 components with Lync Server Deployment Wizard.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:29 AM
  • Installing message queuing, re-running Lync Setup, and then rebooting resolved the issue in my Dev environment.

It's still odd that the missing pre-req wasn't caught by Setup when I originally installed the Archive role. You can even see where it checked for it. Regardless, the steps above resolved the issue in my Dev environment. Now you re-produce the results in Prod. Thanks for your help!

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:55 PM
  • Thanks! This is still an issue with Skype for Business 2015, and immediately after adding these features I got rows added to the LcsLog database.
    Friday, October 28, 2016 4:04 PM