Windows Server 2008 R2 backup fails unless I remove file from Windows\winsxs\FileMaps RRS feed

• Question

• I've read quite a number of articles on the backup failures associated with permissions, etc. associated with files in the \windows\winsxs\FileMaps directory. After trying them (including recommended patches) and finally locating a good troubleshooting email thread I moved all of the contents to a temp directory and then copied them back until the backup failed again. After a process of elimination I determined the single file creating the failure of the backup (failed starting 'System Writer') was due to the presence or error in the file:

C:\Windows\winsxs\FileMaps\programdata_microsoft_user_account_pictures_default_pictures_e70ab2484087f163.cdf-ms

Now I have successfully moved the user and programdata directories to my D: drive since I have a 120GB SSD and wish to keep C: storage to minimum. There are junction points to from C:\user and C:\programdata over to the D: directories physical paths and everything works perfectly with the exception of the backup. When I simply remove the file name shown above from the FileMaps directory the backup completes just fine. But I am worried that the absence of the file from the FileMaps directory could have an impact on the recovery of the backup image and just uncomfortable with the need to manually remove and replace this file for a backup to succeed.

The error info is shown:

Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object.

Details:
    AddCoreCsiFiles : RtlConvertNtFilePathToWin32Path() failed.

System Error:
    0xC0000039 (unresolvable).

- System

- Provider

[ Name]  Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2
       [ Guid]  {5bbca4a8-b209-48dc-a8c7-b23d3e5216fb}
       [ EventSourceName]  Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2

- EventID 513

[ Qualifiers]  0

Version 0

Level 2

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8080000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime]  2013-08-01T00:47:59.646937600Z

EventRecordID 1868

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID]  1092

[ ThreadID]  3152

Any help would be appreciated. Even if it is to say that removing and replacing the file for backups is OK.

-Scott

Thursday, August 1, 2013 2:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Generally we do not recommend to delete files in winsxs folder. Instead we could test to reset permission on this folder as sometimes the backup issue is related to lack of permission on some of files in that folder. Steps:

REM  Set ACLs correct for System Writer
    REM  *************************************
    Takeown /f %windir%\winsxs\filemaps /a
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\filemaps  /grant "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(RX)"
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\filemaps  /grant "NT Service\trustedinstaller:(F)"
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\filemaps  /grant "BUILTIN\Users:(RX)"
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\filemaps  /grant "Administratoren:(RX)"Takeown /f %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\* /a
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\*.*  /grant "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(RX)"
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\*.*  /grant "NT Service\trustedinstaller:(F)"
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\*.*  /grant "BUILTIN\Users:(RX)"
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\*.*  /grant "Administrators:(RX)"Takeown /f %windir%\winsxs\temp\PendingRenames /a
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\temp\PendingRenames  /grant "Administrators:(RX)"
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\temp\PendingRenames /grant "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(RX)"
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\temp\PendingRenames /grant "NT Service\trustedinstaller:(F)"
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\temp\PendingRenames /grant "BUILTIN\Users:(RX)"Takeown /f %windir%\winsxs\temp\PendingRenames\*.* /a
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\temp\PendingRenames\*.*  /grant "Administrators:(RX)"
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\temp\PendingRenames\*.* /grant "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(RX)"
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\temp\PendingRenames\*.* /grant "NT Service\trustedinstaller:(F)"
    icacls %windir%\winsxs\temp\PendingRenames\*.* /grant "BUILTIN\Users:(RX)"
    REM  Restart the Cryptographic Services
    REM  **********************************
    net stop cryptsvc &;& net start cryptsvc

And if this cannot help on this issue, you could move a file to another place instead of just deleting it. After backup we could move the file back. 

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 2, 2013 5:44 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Shaon,

I've already read and tried this a few other scripts aimed at correcting the ACLs for the FileMaps and PendingRenames directories, including one hotfix which did not install (installer said not needed, already present). None of the fixes resolved the problem with the "programdata_microsoft_user_account_pictures_default_pictures_e70ab2484087f163.cdf-ms" file.

I am already doing the backup with the file in a temporary directory and was planning on moving it back into the FileMaps directory upon restore. I just wanted to verify that the restore should work properly even if the file is not present in the FileMaps directory at the time of the backup. I am also interested in how the FileMaps files are created/generated since I have a suspicion that the relocation of the C:\ProgramData to D:\ProgramData and junction point may be causing problems with the filemap decoding logic? If so I was wondering if there is a way using dev tools to recreate the filemap entry for the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\user\account\default\pictures directory.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 5:09 PM