none
Outlook 2016 cannot send HTML format emails RRS feed

• Question

• Customer is using Office 365/Outlook 2016 on Windows 10 (1803). Whenever he tries to send an email in HTML format, he receives error 0x800CCC0F - connection to the server was interrupted. It works fine if sending plain text. Email connection is IMAP and is configured correctly. I have run ScanPST on the OST file several times, deleted the OST file and recreated it. I have tried changing the advanced settings (Uncheck "Get folder unread count" and using custom behavior - Inbox only checked in Advanced Send/Receive Settings). I have disabled firewall and antivirus. None of these allows sending of HTML messages.
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018 9:47 PM

All replies

• Additional notes - if he receives an HTML format email and replies to it, it will not send, because it's still an HTML format...

We have uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook.

He is able to send emails fine through his Yahoo webmail interface.

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 9:56 PM
  • Hi David,
    Does this issue only occur to the particular user?
    What if testing with another account on his computer to see if the HTML message can be sent out properly?

To help narrow down the problem, please try testing in safe mode (Press Win + R, type "outlook /safe", press Enter.) to see if it can work.

Besides, if the issue only happens to a particular machine, please compare the detailed build number of Outlook via File > Office Account > About Outlook to see if there is any difference.

Any update, feel free to post back.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, December 20, 2018 12:10 PM
  • I am also encountering this issue with gmail.  I just got off of a second 1-hour session with Microsoft Level 2 Support and we identified that it is definitely html formatting that is causing the 0x800CCC0F error.  When either sending a new email in html format, or replying to an email that was sent in html format, the Outlook client fails to send it.

As a workaround, when replying to an html email, if you click "pop out" above the "send" button, it will open a separate editor window.  From there, you can use the "Format Text" tab to format your response as plain text.  Doing this will strip all of the formatting from the email, but the Outlook client will successfully send it.

Friday, December 21, 2018 4:29 PM
  • The office does not have any other Outlook users to compare with. I just tried creating a new profile and copying his contacts and calendar over, but it still won't allow sending HTML. He's able to use the plain text work around, but that's not a "happy customer" solution. 

I have run SFC /SCANNOW and found no errors. I have rolled back the two most recent Windows updates with no change. At one point yesterday, he quit receiving any emails and was having to work exclusively out of Yahoo's webmail interface.

Saturday, December 22, 2018 10:28 PM
  • Hi David,

Is it possible to testing with another account on the affected computer to check the result?
    What if configuring the account using POP3 and see the result?

Besides, could you please collect the detailed build number of Outlook via File > Office Account > About Outlook so that we can do further research on this?

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, December 24, 2018 7:52 AM
  • Hi charles,

Thanks for your sharing! May I know if the affected gmail account is configured as an IMAP account? 
    What's the detailed build number of your Outlook?

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Monday, December 24, 2018 7:58 AM
  • His Outlook version is 1811 (Build 11029.20108).

I have not gotten by to try using POP3.

Saturday, December 29, 2018 7:18 PM
  • Charles,

Have you had any luck with getting yours to work correctly?

Saturday, December 29, 2018 7:20 PM
  • Hi David,

I tried to test with my IMAP account in Outlook(Version 1811, Build 11029.20108) on Windows 10 (Version 1803, Build 17134.228) but cannot reproduce the issue. The html message can be sent out properly. 

Are you using any VPN in your environment? If this is the case, please try temporarily turning off the VPN and check if there will be any improvement.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Monday, December 31, 2018 8:18 AM
  • I am having the same problem but with POP3.

This is the error:

Task 'xxxxxx@comcast.net - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

I have contacted Comcast and they said to contact Microsoft.

If I use VPN, then the HTML email goes without a problem.

Rich and plain text go through with no problem with or without VPN.

Outlook 1811 (Build 11029.20108)

Windows 10 1809 OS Build 17763.195

• Edited by JPJP Wednesday, January 2, 2019 1:36 AM
    Wednesday, January 2, 2019 1:10 AM
  • I am having the same problem but with POP3.

This is the error:

Task 'xxxxxx@comcast.net - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

I have contacted Comcast and they said to contact Microsoft.

If I use VPN, then the HTML email goes without a problem.

Rich and plain text go through with no problem with or without VPN.

Outlook 1811 (Build 11029.20108)

Windows 10 1809 OS Build 17763.195

Hi JPJP,

Thanks for your sharing! May I know if you are using any anti-virus software in your environment?  

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Wednesday, January 2, 2019 10:10 AM
  • Hi,

I am using Bitdefender Total Security 2019.

This is what I have done to test:

I have completely uninstalled Bitdefender and Office 365. I then reinstalled Office 365, I did NOT reinstall Bitdefender.

I still received this error without Bitdefender installed.

It is only HTML emails.

Plain and rich text email send perfectly.

I have worked with my ISP (Comcast) and Bitdefender. They keep pointing back to Microsoft.

I just want a solution.

Wednesday, January 2, 2019 2:52 PM
  • They are not using a VPN.
    Wednesday, January 2, 2019 6:51 PM
  • Hi David,

I did further research regarding the error code 0x800CCC0F and found that this is usually caused by Antivirus software scanning email or antispam scanners. As you have tried disabling firewall or antivirus, please try checking if you are using any antispam scanner tools. 

By the way, may I know if you have tested by running Outlook in safe mode as mentioned in the previous reply? If so, does the issue persist in safe mode? 

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Monday, January 7, 2019 1:00 PM
  • Negative, I still have the same issue.  I even completely reinstalled Windows and Outlook.
    Monday, January 7, 2019 5:51 PM
  • I've actually given up on Outlook and started using Thunderbird, it works fine.
    Monday, January 7, 2019 6:03 PM
  • I am almost there. This is very frustrating.
    Monday, January 7, 2019 6:05 PM
  • I downloaded and install Thunderbird. I was able to send an HTML email with no problems!!

MICROSOFT, YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH HTML EMAILS!!!

Monday, January 7, 2019 6:17 PM
  • I downloaded and install Thunderbird. I was able to send an HTML email with no problems!!

MICROSOFT, YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH HTML EMAILS!!!

BTW, my version of Outlook is 64-bit...
    Monday, January 7, 2019 6:27 PM
  • I have same problem with Outlook. Outlook will not send HTML emails, but will send plain text. I have wasted countless hours with my Internet provider, changing email settings, re-installing Outlook, trying to fix Outlook, turning off firewalls and virus scanners to no avail. I really believe that this is an Outlook problem.

This just started to happen mid December. Prior to that, Outlook would send html emails. The start of the problem seems to me to be closely tied to the timing of a December Office update from Microsoft.

• Edited by Jon_N Monday, January 21, 2019 7:29 PM
    Monday, January 21, 2019 7:13 PM
  • I have the same problem ... following in case a solution is discovered.
    Monday, February 4, 2019 3:44 AM
  • I have received a few Office updates lately but this issue is still not resolved.

Using Thunderbird with no sending HTML issues.

Hey Micorsoft, How about solving this???

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 6:14 PM
  • I am also encountering this issue with gmail.  I just got off of a second 1-hour session with Microsoft Level 2 Support and we identified that it is definitely html formatting that is causing the 0x800CCC0F error.  When either sending a new email in html format, or replying to an email that was sent in html format, the Outlook client fails to send it.

As a workaround, when replying to an html email, if you click "pop out" above the "send" button, it will open a separate editor window.  From there, you can use the "Format Text" tab to format your response as plain text.  Doing this will strip all of the formatting from the email, but the Outlook client will successfully send it.

I am also encountering this. Got the same workaround. I am using Windows 10 Pro now. Previously I didn't encounter this when I use Windows 7 with the same Office Outlook. In this case Windows 7 is better than Windows 10. The emails got stuck in the outbox are replied email of others. There are Korean characters in the email and I don't know if it's related to this issue. 
    Sunday, March 17, 2019 12:10 AM
  • Just sent two hours, uninstalling my TREND - reinstalling office, cleaning out my mailbox running scanpst - nothing works will not send - reply or forward any HTML emails - I have 2016 PRofessional Plus Outlook Build 11328-20222- Very frustrating I have to log on to web mail to forward things... messaging to get this fixed.   Same error.   I tried forwarding several different HTML emails - i.e. Hilton reservations, southwest reservations, and various other emails I received nothing will forward or reply.
    Thursday, March 28, 2019 1:42 AM
  • I also installed Thunderbird and can send HTML emails using that program. It is definitely Outlook. Three months now and not fixed yet. 
    Thursday, March 28, 2019 6:57 PM
  • Ok I"m still working on this I went to File -  Options - and under Mail - Message Format - I unchecked the box that read reduce message size by removing format information not necessary to display message.    I also went to General - under personalize your copy of Microsoft Office I changed it to no backround (I don't think that made a difference but I changed both settings and the HTML finally sent....)
    • Proposed as answer by HeidiS20 Saturday, March 30, 2019 1:20 AM
    • Edited by HeidiS20 Saturday, March 30, 2019 1:22 AM
    Saturday, March 30, 2019 1:19 AM
  • I've just followed Heidi's suggestion and only changed the "File -  Options - and under Mail - Message Format - uncheck the box that read reduces message size by removing format information not necessary to display message"  and it's worked. Thank you! I can have some sanity points back tonight.

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 11:59 PM
  • I wasn't able to get this to work, but a new Office update from Microsoft came down and now I can send html emails. Finally!!!!
    Thursday, May 2, 2019 10:01 PM
  • You are a genius. Microsoft, give this person a job in your Outlook support department now. Cheers, you've solved my 6 month old issue that came and went

EDIT: Damnit. It only worked once, doesn't work any more! :(

• Edited by mrdickie Monday, July 22, 2019 2:19 PM
    Monday, July 22, 2019 2:10 PM