DHCP snap-in will not retain window settings, columns, etc. RRS feed

• Question

• DHCP (version 6.3) will not retain window settings or columns after being closed. I haven't been able to find any information on this so far. Has anyone else had this issue?
    Friday, April 11, 2014 6:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The message here suggest the command should be used in this way(open in user mode):

mmc.exe  DhcpMgmt.msc

Input the above command pops up the DHCP console that won't save the changes. This message is a reminder, click OK to bypass the message and the DHCP console author mode would open. Please take a try to run the CMD with administrator rights.

If the above is still not going to work, please try to save the customized DHCP console under the MMC console. On windows search, type MMC, then open the console, on the file tab, click add/remove snap-in, select from the available snap-ins, click add, after that click OK, then customize the console, after that, save the MMC console to the desktop or the places you wish. The next time you open MMC, it will keep the customized settings.

More reference:

Set MMC 3.0 Console Options

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:58 AM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you please have a share with some more details for the issue here?

What issue are you referring to?  Where did you get the message "DHCP (version 6.3) will not retain window settings or columns after being closed."?

If this is under a configuration, would you mind give us a screenshot?

Best regards

Michael Shao

• Edited by Michael_LS Monday, April 14, 2014 9:51 AM
    Monday, April 14, 2014 9:50 AM
  • There isn't really a way to screenshot it. Think of it like this: 

You open DHCP for the first time, you slide the columns over to make it where you can read everything, you go to the "View" settings and then "Add/Remove Columns..." and customize those so you don't have an inordinate amount of information that you don't need to see. At the end of the day, you close DHCP and go home. When you return to work the next day, you open DHCP and everything you just setup the previous day has not been retained and you have to do it all over again.

Hope the narrative helps describe the problem. Apparently everyone in my organization has this problem with DHCP but I'm not seeing anyone else complain about it online. Any idea what may be going on?

Monday, April 14, 2014 1:31 PM
  • Hi,

I understand your issue. The DHCP management console won't save the view customize settings.

We could customize the DHCP management console using MMC (Microsoft Management console)snap-in, customize it and save it to a place. Doing this makes the console remembered the configuration.

More information regarding MMC, please take a look at the below link:

Microsoft Management Console 3.0

For the DHCP management console does not remember the customization, this might by design. If we want to make a customized DHCP console shortcut, we could take a try to enter DHCP in author mode, more detailed steps, please take a check with the post of Josh in the below thread:

DHCPMGMT.MSC in Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) won't remember DHCP server

Hope this may help

Best regards

Michael Shao

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:35 AM
  • Michael,

Thanks. That looks like it will do what I need it to once I can get it working. When running the command that is referenced in the other thread (mmc /a c:\windows\system32\dhcpmgmt.msc) I get this error:

DHCP Manager

Usage:

mmc.exe DhcpMgmt.msc [/ComputerName <Computer Name>].

For whatever reason it won't let me save the changes afterwards and I suspect it has something to do with the above message. Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:58 PM
  • Hi,

The message here suggest the command should be used in this way(open in user mode):

mmc.exe  DhcpMgmt.msc

Input the above command pops up the DHCP console that won't save the changes. This message is a reminder, click OK to bypass the message and the DHCP console author mode would open. Please take a try to run the CMD with administrator rights.

If the above is still not going to work, please try to save the customized DHCP console under the MMC console. On windows search, type MMC, then open the console, on the file tab, click add/remove snap-in, select from the available snap-ins, click add, after that click OK, then customize the console, after that, save the MMC console to the desktop or the places you wish. The next time you open MMC, it will keep the customized settings.

More reference:

Set MMC 3.0 Console Options

Best regards

Michael Shao

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:58 AM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:32 AM
  • Michael,

Creating a new snap-in through mmc (not mmc /a) and saving it that way works. I do know that, for whatever reason, people using 6.1 can go into author mode and save changes that way. 6.3 will not allow you to do that but the above method works fine and accomplishes the same thing. Thanks again!

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 1:55 PM
  • Hi,

mmc.exe  DhcpMgmt.msc

The .msc needs to be a different name, if one replaces the original it STILL does not keep the customization of the size

That is definitely a BUG

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 9:46 AM