none
PSTN Conference Calls in Lync 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Two issues that has been nagging a few of my users during conferencing calls with PSTN.

Conferencing in general hasn't been causing to many problems. 

Both of these situations happen when a lync user initiates the call ofcourse, and adds one or more PSTN users.

When a PSTN user in a conference hangs up the line, but the conference still hasnt ended, the 2 or more remaining users in the conference will hear beeping (as though trying to connect) for approximately 15s and all users hear nothing other than the beeping. Can we get around this somehow? it seems as thought the conference is trying to connect the user back but they are not available.

Another issue is when a new PSTN user is to be added in the conference, and that person is dialled but that persons number is engaged, it doesn't let the conference users know that the line is engaged but instead gives a little star next to the number until voice mail comes up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Friday, September 20, 2013 4:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

i'd suggest that the meeting presenter drop the PSTN caller from the conference to get around this. and about the engage tone, it seems like something to do with the Gateway incompatibility with the PSTN trunk to generate the busy tone.

• Marked as answer by Kent-Huang Friday, October 4, 2013 12:15 PM
    Saturday, September 21, 2013 3:16 AM
  • Hi Sleiman,

Could you please tell us more information about your PSTN connectivity, such as gateway and listening port.

Please double check the gateway and mediation configuration in Lync topology builder.

Please check if this issue happened randomly or to specific user and also check peer to peer PSTN call work properly.

If the issue persists, you can use the Lync server logging tool to test the process of PSTN Conference Calls, then you will find the error step of issue.

Here is the link of using the Lync logging tool:

http://blog.schertz.name/2011/06/using-the-lync-logging-tool/

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,

Eason Huang

Monday, September 23, 2013 12:30 PM

All replies

• Hi

To workaround this matter. You might have to use some diagnostics tools to monitor the activities. as like wireshark, Lync logging tools. I suggest you to investigate SIP packet actives( INVITE,ACK,BYE,200 ) are  received by gateway, accordingly in correct time.

What kind of gateway are you using? 

I think this would occurrence form gateway side.

• Edited by Hirantha_ Sunday, September 22, 2013 4:37 AM
    Saturday, September 21, 2013 1:42 AM
  • Hi,

i'd suggest that the meeting presenter drop the PSTN caller from the conference to get around this. and about the engage tone, it seems like something to do with the Gateway incompatibility with the PSTN trunk to generate the busy tone.

Saturday, September 21, 2013 3:16 AM
  • Hi Sleiman,

Could you please tell us more information about your PSTN connectivity, such as gateway and listening port.

Please double check the gateway and mediation configuration in Lync topology builder.

Please check if this issue happened randomly or to specific user and also check peer to peer PSTN call work properly.

If the issue persists, you can use the Lync server logging tool to test the process of PSTN Conference Calls, then you will find the error step of issue.

Here is the link of using the Lync logging tool:

http://blog.schertz.name/2011/06/using-the-lync-logging-tool/

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,

Eason Huang

Monday, September 23, 2013 12:30 PM
  • thanks everyone for the replies.

The PSTN comes through an Aastra BP250. I had to solder/create a new cable to connect that to a Cisco 2900. The cable was made/solderd by me, as the PSTN was a short strange 6pin interface, I had to cut a normal network cable one side having a large 16 pin female, and the other side an RJ45, connected to the 2900. the reason it is like that is that if there was an issue with the roll out of Lync 2010, I can quickly fall back to plugging it into the BP250.

Its been almost a year since ive rolled out 2010, and never had to connect back into the BP250.

Another reason that i still have the BP250 is that i have some DECT users. And our company is still testing to see the stability/usability of KIRK IP wireless products.

I assume the problem is the home made connection, However it means clearing out the old telephone switch that it goes through.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 3:49 PM