none
Cannot connect Outlook 2013 to my Live Outlook account since Monday 07/10/19 RRS feed

• Question

• I had Outlook 2013 setup to connect to my Live/Outlook.com account, and it was working 100%

Since Monday, I cannot connect. Have recreated my Profile, reloaded OS and software. With no luck. The Outlook 2013 setup gets to the Logging on to the mail server setting and then brings up a notification that "The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable...

I can connect to Outlook.com via my web browser.

Please help

Regards

Pieter

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 10:44 AM

Answers

• Hi Aidan

After doing a few Microsoft Updates I was able to connect with Outlook without any problems. Not sure which update sorted this.

regards

Pieter

Monday, October 21, 2019 3:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>> Since Monday, I cannot connect. 

Have you done some specific operations before this issue occur?

According to my research, this issue may be related to many aspects.

1. Your registry has some important information that Outlook needs to connect to the Microsoft exchange server. If this information is missing, you get the error message.
      1) Open a PC in which Outlook is working. Press the Windows + R and type “regedit” in the textbox. This should open your registry editor.
      2) Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserShell.
      3) Right-click on the User Shell folder and choose “export” from the menu.
      4) Give a name for this file, and ensure that it has a ".reg" extension.
      5) Copy this file to the PC where Outlook is not working. Just run this file with “.reg” extension and the details will be automatically added to your registry.
      6) Restart Outlook and try connecting again.
    2. Some kind of a hiccup with your computer’s DNS can also be responsible for this problem. To flush your computer’s DNS, simply:
      1) Open the Start Menu.
      2) Search for “cmd“.
      3) Right-click on the search result titled cmd or Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator to launch an elevated Command Prompt that has administrative privileges. 
      4) Type the following into the elevated Command Prompt and press Enter: ipconfig /flushdns
      5) Close the elevated Command Prompt and check to see if the problem has been fixed.
    3. Though antivirus offers good protection for your system, at times it can also interfere with the way Outlook works. So It is also suggested to temporarily turn off your antivirus software to check if the issue will be gone.
    4. There could be some add-ins in your Outlook client that cause this issue, so it is suggested to start your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.) and see if the issue continues.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 10, 2019 2:53 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got the issue fixed?

Please try my suggestions and let me know the results.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 11, 2019 7:28 AM
  • Hi Aidan

After doing a few Microsoft Updates I was able to connect with Outlook without any problems. Not sure which update sorted this.

regards

Pieter

Monday, October 21, 2019 3:57 PM
  • Hi,

I'm glad to see your issue has been fixed.

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for your information. This will make answer searching in the forum easier!

Request/Expectation:

Cannot connect Outlook 2013 to my Live Outlook account

Solution Summary:

Install the latest updates.

Reference Links:

No.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 9:46 AM