none
Cannot disable video calling in OCS 2007 R1 RRS feed

• Question

• PC to PC video calling has always been disabled within our organisation via GPO. However I wanted to hand control for this element back to OCS, so that I could enable video calling on a user by user basis.  I presumed the best way to do this was via:

Right click at Forest -> Properties -> Global Properties -> Meetings tab

The global policy was changed to 'use per user policy' and on checking the properties for random users I saw it had defaulted to Policy 5 (Low).  This should be fine as 'Enable IP audio' and subsequent 'Enable IP video' tick boxes were empty so therefore anyone with this policy shouldn't be able to video call.

However when I check this morning, people now have the option to start a video call by right clicking in the MOC.  Why is this the case when their policy shows they shouldn't be able to?

I've had to enable the GPO again to stop people video calling, but can't fathom why OCS isn't controlling this element properly- or am I missing something here?

The work around could of course be to add users to an exception list within GPO, but I wanted to prove that OCS can work for controlling who can video and who can't.  I hope someone out there can help me get this functioning properly.

Thanks in advance.

Monday, October 25, 2010 10:34 AM

Answers

• The meeting tab manages the conferencing MCU only.  This means +2 people and you can prevent audio for conferences using this tab.  However point to point restrictions require use of the communicator.adm file and GPO (or registry changes).
    Mark King | MVP: Communication Server | MCTS:UC Voice | MCSE: Messaging | MCITP:Enterprise Messaging | www.unplugthepbx.com
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 2:30 PM

All replies

• The meeting tab manages the conferencing MCU only.  This means +2 people and you can prevent audio for conferences using this tab.  However point to point restrictions require use of the communicator.adm file and GPO (or registry changes).
    Mark King | MVP: Communication Server | MCTS:UC Voice | MCSE: Messaging | MCITP:Enterprise Messaging | www.unplugthepbx.com
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 2:30 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Mark.

It seems silly that control cannot be made from the meeting tab only and that things have to become complicated by playing with the GPO's in AD- something my networking colleagues quite rightly get nervous about me doing!

Video control is now being run through GPO for the organisation, but I'd like to see if Lync has better/less complicated control of this.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 9:55 AM