none
Office 365 E4 / Lync server on-premise licensing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am investigating the details for using Office 365 E4 and the on-premise version of lync and have a question about licensing.

What licensing needs to be purchased when using the E4 plan in order to be able to install a lync server on-premise? Assuming there is nothing there at the moment. Do I need to buy a license to install the lync server, and then the E4 license covers each using connecting in to it? Or is the license for the installation of the lync server itself covered in the E4 license?

E.g. In order to complete the Office 365 E4 lync server on-premise setup, i would need to purchase the following:

A)

1 - Lync server license

x - Office 365 E4 User license (as many as I need)

OR

B)

x - Office 365 E4 User license (as many as I need) (and this simply allows me to install lync on my existing windows infrastructure)

And given option A, I'm therefore assuming then also that I would have to buy: server hardware and two windows server licenses (in a minimum deployment, one for edge server and one for frontend server).

Thanks for any help,

Vlad

Monday, March 12, 2012 6:14 AM

Answers

All replies

• Office 365 Licensing allows you to install Lync Servers on premise for the number of users that you have the required Licenses for, just the same as Exchange or Sharepoint

- Belgian Unified Communications Community : http://www.pro-lync.be -

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 12:04 AM
  • all you would need to buy is the Windows Server O/S and server hardware.

+Say thanks and observe basic forum courtesy:
    +If this post answered your question, Mark As Answer
    +If this post was helpful, Vote as Helpful

windowspbx blog: my thots/howtos
    see/submit Lync suggestions here: simple and public

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:11 AM
  • Hi,

The Office 365 E4 include the on-premise lync server license, which can be install on your server to support Enterprise voice capabilities.

For more about Office 365, please refer:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/all-plans.aspx#fbid=We2CHFRCwD5

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=13602

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:17 AM
  • Hello to all.

We just ask this same question to our O365 Online Services Executive and our O365 Licensing Executive and their answer was:

“even if you buy E4, you need to buy the Lync server to activate enterprise voice. E4 just provides the on-prem cal rights... meaning: Lync CAL + Lync Plus CAL”

I read the O365 product descriptions and there is no affirmation nor negation regarding this.  Do you guys knows about some Microsoft's official document that claerly said that E4 includes lync server licenses?

Thanks!

Sunday, May 13, 2012 11:36 PM
  • Hi,

These rights are expressed in the on-premise PUR documents since the use of the license in on premise, not in the cloud.
      Note that in all cases the online USL only gives you a user CAL for the workload tied to the USL - you will require server infrastructure (hardware and software) on top of this user CAL.

View this blog post for more info : http://blogs.technet.com/b/uspartner_ts2team/archive/2012/04/30/on-premise-cals-included-with-office-365-subscriptions.aspx

Regards,
    JamesA

Thursday, May 24, 2012 4:37 AM
  • I have been reading other posts and they are saying that Lync On-Premise server does not integrate with Office 365 at this moment. Is this true or not, i can't seem to get a straight answer.
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:48 PM
  • Simple answer: your lync servers need to be in the cloud or onpremise.

If you want Enterprise Voice you will need to be on premise so that means all Lync servers need to be on premise.

Exchange UM can be in the cloud even if Lync is onpremise.

+Say thanks and observe basic forum courtesy:
    +If this post answered your question, Mark As Answer
    +If this post was helpful, Vote as Helpful

windowspbx blog: my thots/howtos
    see/submit Lync suggestions here: simple and public

• Proposed as answer by Matt LandisMVP Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:43 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:43 PM
  • I've ran into this scenario several times and you do need a lync server license in your specific example since you are deploying that server on premise.
    • Proposed as answer by ArshadMea Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:14 PM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:14 PM
  • Hello Everyone,

I am the Lync business planner responsible for this area, and I can assure you that in the case where you are installing E4 on premises in order to use enterprise voice features not available in the Office 365 cloud today, you must purchase the appropriate number of licenses for Lync Server to support your on-premises infrastructure. 

This is spelled out in the PUR as noted above, as well as outlined in the Lync Licensing Guide on lync.com.

Thanks,

Allan

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:32 AM
  • Allan, what you posted is confusing to me. Trying to follow your logic, if one needs to purchase separate user licenses for lync e4 users (to enable voice), why buy e4 at all? Why not buy e3 + lync server CALS?
    Saturday, May 18, 2013 6:32 PM