Changing TCP/IP settings without Admin Rights RRS feed

• Question

• Hello There,

We have bunch of laptop users who are basically in Network support so very often they have to change IP addresses on their machines so we ended up giving them Local Admin privilege on their machines.

This is risky and we want to reduce this risk.

Is there any option to provide TCP/IP settings change privilege to these users without giving them Admin Rights? Please suggest.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Maqsood Mohammed Senior Systems Engineer MCITP-Enterprise Admin & ITILv3 Foundation Certified

• Moved by Brandon Records Thursday, December 10, 2015 7:15 PM Moved to more appropriate forum.
    Sunday, November 22, 2015 6:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your expectation, we can add those user to Network Configuration Operators group so that they can change the TCP/IP without admin privilege.

For your reference: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754921(v=ws.10).aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 23, 2015 7:17 AM
  • Hi Allen,

Thanks for your response, i just tried this unfortunately it doesn't work.

Please see the screenshots attached.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Maqsood Mohammed Senior Systems Engineer MCITP-Enterprise Admin & ITILv3 Foundation Certified

Monday, November 23, 2015 7:35 AM
  • Hi,

According to my test, it works. Please try below steps to create account and assign permission:
    1. Login administrator account and new a standard account.
    2. Open Computer Management, open Network Configuration Operators group and add new account in this group.
    3. Sign in with new account, open Network and Sharing center to modify the setting with network.
    Note: it will popup to sign-in administrator credential, then login as new account and password.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 8:31 AM
  • Did you login into local security as the admin and has some one changed your account to a standard user

right click local security if the block is greyed out then one of your brighter employees pranked you and changed your account to a standard user also

there are option's you can use scripts, safe mode

you need to be using 8.1 pro and use GPEDIT.MSC to control that

if you can't change your own account back to an administrator account then you will have to login into repair mode

using f11 and then use your password on your account and then you can change back to a ADMIN Account

then after that I would lock uber employee out using GPEDIT.MSC

looking at your screen shot's first thing that comes to my mind is you don't even have LOCAL ADMIN Privileges

Also you should use care and read about GROUP's on TechNet as these all have different right's as to what they can do

Thursday, November 26, 2015 1:00 AM
  • Hello Allen,

I did try the same thing but still i get the error and i am doing this on Win7 Enterprise machine.

Regards,

Maqsood

Thursday, December 3, 2015 10:29 AM
  • If your issue is occurring on Windows 7 Enterprise then you have posted this thread in the wrong forum. This forum is for Windows 8.1 security issues. I will move this thread to the appropriate forum for Windows 7 security issues.

Brandon
    Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
    Windows for IT Pros at TechNet

Thursday, December 10, 2015 7:15 PM
  • Hi

You must open Computer management with admin rights. If you add user to the group, then log off and on so order change is valid

Ales

Friday, June 26, 2020 6:09 PM