none
Prevent calls from USB handset when workstation locked? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm trying to establish whether it is possible to configure the behaviour of the USB phones with keypad (Polycom CX300 and Plantronics Callisto 540), so that when a user locks their workstation, the phone cannot be made to make outgoing calls and call Exchange UM voicemail.

At present, locking the workstation has no effect on the phone, so a passer by can make outgoing calls. This is undesirable and I'd like to find out if it is possible to change this behaviour.

The user guides for both the Polycom CX300 and Plantronics Callisto 540 make reference to the behaviour of the phone when workstation is locked, making a vague reference to it being something that is configurable by the "system administrator", but I can't see how.

The phones have very limited config, so I'm guessing there is a Lync setting somewhere. The closest I could find was the csClientPolicy option -disableHandsetOnLockedMachine, but the guidance for this says it relates to "Lync Phone Edition" devices, which these are not. Set it anyway, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Has anybody else noticed this, or consider it to be a problem?

Any advice very gratefully received.

John

Friday, May 20, 2011 9:45 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

I don't think there is a away to do this. Even with Lync Phone on screen lock you can make and receive calls

Possibly you could find 3rd party software that disables USB ports on screen lock, but that might be more bother than it's worth.

sorry it's not a better answer for you

Tom

If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks
    Tom Arbuthnot, Consultant Modality Systems
    Blog: Lync'd Up Blog Subscribe: RSS
    Twitter @tomarbuthnot
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 12:44 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Tom, but don't you think it odd that both Polycom and Plantronics specifically mention in their user guides about accessing the phone when the computer is locked? The Plantronics guide has a whole section on it, on p13.

http://www.plantronics.com/uk/media/media-resources/literature/user_guides/calisto_p540_ug_en.pdf?WT.dl=20

"When the phone is connected to a computer that is locked, and the computer is running Communicator 2007 R2, what you can do with the device is limited by the rules that are defined by your system administrator, and the connection to Communicator".

It just makes me think there are some options somewhere. I've spoken to Plantronics tech support briefly, and the person I spoke to didn't know either, but said they would investigate further. I couldn't get through to Polycom tech support, so I don't know what their view is.

John

Monday, May 23, 2011 8:19 AM
  • Hi,John

Maybe the "Enforce device locking" option is what you are looking for.

More details please check  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg520963.aspx

Regards,

Sharon

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 9:24 AM
  • Hi Sharon, thankyou for replying. I don't think this setting applies, as the documentation says this setting relates to Lync Phone Edition devices, and devices like the CX300 do not run Lync phone edition, they are just USB. Do you think that it is worth trying it anyway?

The Polycom CX300 deployment guide (http://support.polycom.com/global/documents/support/setup_maintenance/products/voice/CX300_Deployment_Guide_RevA.pdf) suggests that dialling rules are used to configure what the phone can do when the computer it is attached to is locked.

"Dialing rules determine what— if any— shortcuts, prefixes, and others, can be used by persons calling from inside the organization. Dialing rules also define what the organization’s users can do using Microsoft Office Communicator 2007 R2 when their computers are locked. Any dialing rules set up for Microsoft Office Communicator 2007 R2 apply to the Polycom CX300 desktop phone."

Seems a bit weird to me, I don't recall seeing any options for different rules depending on whether computers are locked or not, but since they mention it, I'm assuming it is possible.

The docs obviously relate to 2007 R2, so maybe whatever they are referring to is now gone with Lync, who knows.

John

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 10:41 AM