none
Lync 2013 topology change - now require a Reverse Proxy! RRS feed

• Question

• I have just installed a single Standard Edition Lync 2013 Server and finally got all desktop functionality working using both 2010 and 2013 clients.  I have now had it sprung on me as to whether we can get mobility working for Lync 2013 clients.  Now I know that Lync 2010 mobile clients work in our environment but they use a different connection method to the 2013 clients.  All documentation points to the implementation of a reverse proxy and/or Edge server to provide the necessary redirected requests from the 2013 mobile clients.

Further to this, the client I work with is not operating in a typical environment.  They are effectively a single domain in a large private cloud which hosts several similar organisations.  They have their own domain and are separated by a firewall at the perimeter but at this stage do not have any DMZ because they don't need one.

So my question is two-fold - can I implement ONLY the reverse proxy to enable the 2013 mobile clients to connect or do I require an additional edge server to complete the topology.  Secondly - would anyone agree this is possible in the one final day I have onsite with this client! :-)

Thanks

Persevere, Persevere, Per..

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:53 PM

Answers

• That's correct, you'd be limited to IM & Presence.

To get everything working I'd certainly deploy an Edge server that way you get full functionality from both your Lync mobile clients and your full Lync clients externally (rather than just some of it) :)

Blog http://ucfoc.us | Twitter @georgathomas

• Marked as answer by Nealus Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:06 PM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:56 PM

All replies

• If you implement just the reverse proxy the mobile client will be able to sign in but you won't be able to use any of the A/V features. Just IM, presence.

(Lync full clients won't work externally without an edge though)

It is possible to get it working in a day :)

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:33 PM
  • Thanks for your reply

I can currently sign in Lync 2010 mobile clients (iPad) however they have no A/V functionality (as a limitation of that version)

So are you saying that with a Standard 2013 Lync server and a reverse proxy I would be able to sign in the 2013 mobile client but have no A/V?  If so I may as well implement the Edge server as well?

Tomorrow could be a long day! 

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:42 PM
  • That's correct, you'd be limited to IM & Presence.

To get everything working I'd certainly deploy an Edge server that way you get full functionality from both your Lync mobile clients and your full Lync clients externally (rather than just some of it) :)

• Marked as answer by Nealus Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:06 PM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:56 PM
  • Thanks for the pointers Georg.  Perhaps a revisit to the site at a later date - phase 2!

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:06 PM